Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2015 10:00

Help with installing Windows 10 Dual-Boot

Hello, I got a notebook that should handle Windows 10, as dell tested it out. I have checked Yip's tutorials and all, but I would like to know what I should do if I want dual-boot?

With the media creation tool, it doesnt give me such option, so I chose the "install in another computer" option, I thought that it would work. But it asks for the product key, so I guess that's not it.

I thought about using Rufus with the Windows 10 iso, but I guess it wouldn't make much difference?

So what should I do exactly if I want to keep Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 in this computer?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 14:00

You must first create a partition where it can install, then you need to BOOT to a Windows 10 DVD/ISO to install to that partition. You can't initiate a dual-boot from the Windows 10 upgrade app -  it is an advanced setup that requires manual steps.

27 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 19:00

Yes. That's why I didn't choose "upgrade".  What you said is basically what I already know, but no, I don't need another partition, not yet at least. I shall first get past the activation screen.  Thanks for the help anyway.

Anyone else?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 08:00

Then you weren't very clear on what you are trying to do. Where EXACTLY are you getting stuck? What have you done and what aren't you able to do? It isn't that difficult, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

27 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 10:00

I was perfectly clear, the answer to all those questions are already there.

I never mentioned using the Windows 10 Upgrade app.

Just tell me what I need to do to have both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 in my computer, that's all.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 14:00

You have to buy a separate license to dual boot. Windows 10 Upgrade is just that--an upgrade. You do not retain the rights to windows 8.1 after the upgrade. The license becomes a windows 10 license. You can continue in the Insider program and receive new builds if your win 10 is activated and you choose to still receive the previews builds. Windows 8.1 is no longer available to you after the free upgrade. You can choose to roll back to windows 8.1 for 30 days after you upgrade to 10. After  30 days, you must stay with windows 10.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 16:00

I disagree and if there were more to the process I probably wouldn't be inclined to help any further.

1. YES, you need a new partition in which to install Windows 10 (20GB minimum, 60GB recommended for permanent ongoing installationf). You will need to shrink or delete an existing partition - this is done in Disk Management (right-click Computer, Manage).

2. Boot to the Windows 10 media and install Windows 10 in the empty partition (unpartitioned space).

(If you don't have a Windows 10 key, use a KMS key (Google "kms client keys") to get past the prompt for a key.)

Done.

(Note Mary's comment about the licensing.)

27 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 18:00

Thanks a lot for your answer Mary!

But tell me, my Dell notebook comes with the product key inside the motherboard( I believe all of them do ), can't I upgrade to Windows 10 and then just install Windows 8.1 next? So I get dual boot? I mean, the product key won't be erased from the BIOS will it?

27 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 18:00

I never said I didn't need a new partition at all to begin with. I said I didnt need a new partition for now ( yet ).

I should not create a new partition just to find out next that I can't do such thing. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 20:00

"I should not create a new partition just to find out next that I can't do such thing"

Clear as mud.

"But tell me, my Dell notebook comes with the product key inside the motherboard( I believe all of them do ), can't I upgrade to Windows 10 and then just install Windows 8.1 next? So I get dual boot? I mean, the product key won't be erased from the BIOS will it?"

No, it won't erase it - it can't. But Windows activation communicates with Microsoft; Microsoft will cancel activation on one or the other.

Why dual-boot?

27 Posts

August 24th, 2015 18:00

I'll just ignore this post for now on and not bother to translate every paragraph of mine to you.

About the dual-boot, that's just me making sure every software that I use for work and college works fine after getting Windows 10.

I'll just upgrade.

Thank you both for your help.

No Events found!