Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2015 00:00

How can I get back the original programs that came pre-installed on my Dell XPS 8500?

Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8500 and just did a "reset" of my Windows 10 upgrade, which kept all my files but deleted all the installed programs. I knew it would do that, but I didn't realize just how many of the programs were actually pre-installed from Dell when I bought my computer, and I didn't even think to write down the entire list of all those programs or, better yet, to have saved them to a CD beforehand. Lesson learned...

So my question is, how do I get back all those pre-installed programs? The only CD that came with my system is the "Drivers and Utilities," and I already checked that and none of the programs are on there. So are they on a partition somewhere and I can choose which ones to re-install?

Here's a few examples of the programs I'm wanting to get back since some of them seem kinda important?...

• Intel(R) Manageability Engine Firmware Recovery Agent
  • Intel(R) Management Engine Components Intel Corporation 8.0.1.1399
  • Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Intel Corporation 12.8.0.1016
  • Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Intel Corporation 1.0.3.214
  • Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client
  • Cisco EAP-FAST Module Cisco Systems, Inc. 2.2.14
  • Cisco LEAP Module Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.0.19
  • Cisco PEAP Module
  • PlayReady PC Runtime amd64

Those are just a clump of the ones I had written down in the past, but I'm sure there are other pre-installed programs that I didn't list, but have lost.

P.S. My computer seems to be working perfectly fine, so I guess the missing programs aren't affecting the everyday usage of my computer, but I'm sort of an amateur so I don't know how I would tell if they were? I don't really know what some of the missing programs actually do, or if I will need them for something in the future. (There was one program I remember I had called "Dell DataSafe Local Backup" and judging by its name, I can tell that I probably don't need it since I use File History for backup in Windows 10.)

All my drivers appear to be up-to-date from what I can see in the Device Manager, by the way. (Just an FYI in case it's important.)

Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 13th, 2015 12:00

Windows 10 is pretty good at automatically downloading drivers from Windows Update especially Intel Drivers and some things like USB 3.0 are supported natively within Windows 10 unlike windows 7. The XPS 8500 is an Intel based Desktop so like the XPS 8300 should be covered sufficiently with the inbuilt drivers.

Dell Backup and Recovery has a Windows 10 Update however unless you are going to use it to image your system with some additional 3rd party software its not going to have much difference to a Reset. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-9-0-22-windows-10-clean-install/

21 Posts

September 13th, 2015 14:00

I'm kind of an amateur here... so are all those programs/softwares that I listed above in my original post just various drivers that Windows 7 was using? They are not actual programs? (just drivers)

And, if they are just drivers, did I understand you correctly that I really don't need to reinstall them since Windows 10 has probably automatically downloaded them already? (I just don't see anything like them in my list of installed programs after the Windows 10 reset.)

I haven't experienced any computer problems yet or anything but, since I'm a noob, I was worried that if I didn't reinstall all those old Windows 7 things that came preinstalled, then I would have problems later. Am I worrying over nothing? (I usually do, haha)

Thank you for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 13th, 2015 16:00

Yes they are drivers but the installer for the drivers showed up on your Windows 7 Programs and Features. All the Intel drivers should automatically be installed by Windows 10 via Windows Update or even inbuilt.

You can if it makes you feel better download the Windows 8.1 64 Bit (WB64a) Chipset drivers from here:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-8500.html

Upon installation it may say you have a newer version already installed. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to install any of these. Windows 10 should already include them all.

21 Posts

September 13th, 2015 19:00

Okay, awesome... I understand now, and really appreciate your help! 

You wrote some great help tutorials too!

No Events found!