Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 28th, 2015 18:00

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Information on Obtaining a Clean Install

Video Tutorial Playlist

I have made a number of Video Tutorials focusing on Clean Installing Windows 10:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

The Download a Windows 10 RS1 .iso and Create a Bootable USB and Clean Install Windows 10 RS1 with a Windows 7/8.1 OEM Product Key (UEFI) BIOS are the most important two.

Before the Free Upgrade

Its recommended to carry out a few steps before performing an OS Upgrade. These mainly relate to a data backup and also the creation of OS Recovery Media. You will need an external Hard Drive for this and a few 16 GB USB Flash Drives:

The first thing you should do is copy anything important from Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures and Videos that you cannot afford to use onto the external hard drive. You should do this regularly.

Next you will want to create Factory OS Installation Media using the latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery:

One may wish to also use Macrium Reflect to create an image of their Hard Drive which they can Restore from:

The first image is of Factory Install (how Dell shipped the system) and the second is of the current setup (all user installed updates, programs and files/folders).

Note when using a Macrium Reflect Image the Factory Restore may not work which is why I recommend carrying out both steps.

The Windows 10 RS1 Free Upgrade from Windows 8.x/10 OEM

Windows 10 RS1 is available as a Free Upgrade for all Dell Systems sold with Windows 8.x OEM and Windows 10 OEM.

Win10HomeWin8HomeWin8Bingwin10ProWin8Pro

The product key is embedded in the Dell UEFI BIOS and will automatically be input by Windows 10 RS1 Installation Media. The most important thing to note is the Free Windows 10 Upgrade is Edition specific. Installation Media of the Correct Edition will not ask for the Product Key as it'll automatically be picked up by installation media.

Win10OEMCorrect

To Download and Prepare Windows 10 RS1 Installation Media see Download a Windows 10 RS1 OEM and Retail .iso.

The Windows 10 Free Upgrade from Windows 7 OEM

For a system shipped with Dell Windows 7 OEM the key is not embedded in the UEFI BIOS you'll be prompted for it during installation:

Win10RS1NOUEFISLPKey

A Windows 7 COA will state the Windows 7 Edition and 25 digit product key:

Windows 7 COA 

This may be found in the battery compartment of many laptops to prevent fading:

Laptop COA

Power off the system, remove the AC Adapter and Battery. Take a picture of your Windows 7 COA with your smartphone.

Note on the first installation of Windows 7, your systems hardware profile will be compiled and stored with a Microsoft Product Activation server. This means you will only ever need to enter the Product Key once for an initial clean installation and never if you've performed an initial upgrade install. In all subsequent clean installs you may skip input of your Product Key and then select the correct Edition:

windows 10 th2

RS 10 Editions

Once the hardware profile of the system has been compiled and stored on a Microsoft Product Activation server, the system is a "Windows 10 Edition Device". A Windows 10 Edition Device will automatically reactivate Windows 10 Edition when online.

To Download and Prepare Windows 10 RS1 Installation Media see Download a Windows 10 RS1 OEM and Retail .iso.

The UEFI BIOS

For optimal results the latest Dell UEFI BIOS should be installed before Windows 10 Clean Installation. Moreover one should Enable SecureBoot for optimal security. See:

Not all Windows 7 Systems have a UEFI BIOS as UEFI was implemented in 2011. You don't need UEFI and SecureBoot to install Windows 10 but if you have these features its recommended to utilise them for maximal performance and security.

Dell Driver Support vs Microsoft Driver Support

There has been much confusion here. Dell are an Original Equipment Manufacturer who make and design hardware and initial compile driver sets for their hardware. They support their hardware only for the duration of the warranty period (lifecycle of the product) however Dell Products normally survive for many years outwith their warranty period. See Dell Computers Tested for Windows 10 Upgrade.

Microsoft are a software company and want everyone running Windows 7 OEM or Windows 8.x OEM to Upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft have decided they do not want to waste resources in supporting multiple Windows version and also want to have the biggest userbase possible for their Windows Store, Browser/Search Engine Marketshare and Online Cloud Storage OneDrive with Office 365. This gives them a continuous revenue so they can continue to support and develop their flagship products Windows and Office.

As the agenda of the two different companies is different many will be in the circumstance where Microsoft support the Upgrade but Dell doesn't. Luckily all these systems are over 4 years so the hardware is extremely well-established. As a consequence its extremely likely Microsoft have updated Windows 10 installation media to have inbuilt driver support for the components or will automatically obtain the system drivers automatically from Windows Update.

Win10Drivers

Here is a demonstration of an OptiPlex 7010 which has a clean install of Windows 10 64 Bit. I've opened the Device Manager and within 5 minutes of first connecting to the internet you see Windows 10 has downloaded all the drivers to ensure functionality. A handful of more up to date drivers may be found direct from Intel...

The latest version of Intel Management Engine Interface can be downloaded from Intel and prevents some black screen issues when coming out of sleep which are common symptoms with Windows 10 due to an older driver being obtained from Windows Update.

I have additional guides on obtaining the latest Dell Touchpad and Dell Wireless Card drivers.

The Windows 10 Free Upgrade from Windows Vista or Windows XP (Unofficial)

Neither Microsoft (or Dell) support this Free Upgrade Path.

Microsoft do not allow direct clean installs of Windows 10 using Windows XP or Windows Vista licenses. They however allowed an Upgrade Install from the Insider Preview Build 10130 to Windows 10 Pro. The Insider Build 10130 uses a Generic Product Key for installation so anyone can install and activate it.

One can hence install Windows 10130 on a system shipped with Windows Vista and then utilise that a stepping stone for their Free Windows 10 Upgrade. Once the hardware profile of the system has been compiled and stored on a Microsoft Product Activation server, the system is a Windows 10 Pro Device and will automatically reactivate when online. If you later perform a clean installation skip entry of product key and opt to install Windows 10 Pro.

For more details see:

Note however as Windows XP was released in 2001. Early Windows XP systems have ridiculously weak hardware and won't be Windows 10 capable. If you have anything older than 10 years you will struggle with this upgrade path and its time for new hardware or second hand hardware such as an ex-business OptiPlex 780.

Download Windows 7 or 8.1 Installation Media (Semi-Official)

One can Download all the Editions of Windows 8.1 OEM with Update 2 from Microsoft except for the with Bing OEM Editions. For more details see:

Windows 7 OEM can be Downloaded from Microsoft's Techbench. For more details see:

September 25th, 2015 17:00

win10 upgrade from win7 on my E6510 failed.  Microsoft claimed E6510 not tested/compatible with w10.  Will instructions in "Initial Upgrade - Making your Device a Windows 10 Device" allow w10 to run on E6510?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 26th, 2015 02:00

Many Dell machines are not supported but work fine anyway. I tested a Latitude E5510 (also not supported) and had no issues. Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed before upgrading.

I suspect you will be able to change your system to boot to UEFI but it'll be setup for MBR (like my E5510 was). You can amend this after the initial upgrade.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 26th, 2015 18:00

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/updating-the-bios/

The BIOS update can be downloaded from here:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/latitude-e6510.html

Sometimes the newest version will require an earlier version as a perquisite.

The issues you experienced seem to be because you "upgraded". Upgrade installs always have reduced performance however Microsoft force an initial upgrade to make the system a "Windows 10 Device".

I upgraded and then clean reinstalled in all my systems.

If your Windows 10 was previously activated it is already a "Windows 10 Device" and you can skip the upgrade and directly clean reinstall, I advise doing so in UEFI (which this model should support on the latest BIOS):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/windows-10-clean-reinstallation-via-bootable-usb-from-iso/

Note if your not sure if it previously upgraded perform the upgrade and then clean reinstall.

September 26th, 2015 18:00

Thanks, Philip.  Does this mean you have confidence that w10 will run on my E6510, if:

1. the BIOS is updated? (I'll have to learn how to do this)

2.  I follow your instructions in "Initial Upgrade - Making your Device a Windows 10 Device"?

FYI...w10 installed and ran OK but some fundamental features of the OS began to degrade.  It seems the problems I was encountering (such as Start menu and icons in system tray and Taskbar stopped working, Edge, Calculator, Search, Safely Remove Device, etc, disappeared), were shared by many other w10 upgraders.  After lengthy, live sessions with Microsoft support I was told that the problem was likely due to incompatibility with the E6510.  Not uncommon for MS to blame something else, but I went back to w7 to recover basic OS features.  

I would prefer to have w10 but I am reluctant to risk another upgrade attempt  unless you feel that 1 & 2 above will lead to a more successful installation.

I appreciate your help.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2015 04:00

I wanted a DUAL boot system. In order to get there. I had to use a program called "Rufus" to load the ISO to a NEW partion. My Inspiron has UEFI.

What I now have is a Dual boot system (with windows7). what I have not, Is the ability to get the Programme to accept the windows 8.1 OEM Product Code?

Any Idea`s?

Pete

October 8th, 2015 03:00

This is great content  post and this videos are very helpful for me..

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 17th, 2015 05:00

Good news. Microsoft has decided to address almost all the Windows 10 installation issues I highlighted in Windows 10 TH2. Its available as a Windows Insider Preview just now but should be out soon, more details here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19657446

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2015 12:00

You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10. To use the media creation tool, visit the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.

You can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Windows 10. The image can also be used to create installation media using a USB flash drive or DVD.

Windows 10 1511 disk images can also be downloaded from the Microsoft website from non-Windows 10 devices as well, to upgrade existing virtual machines on other platforms, such asApple's OS X.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 15th, 2015 13:00

Yes and I have already wrote a guide on making the Bootable USB within Linux just in case:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-th2-and-prepare-a-bootable-usb-on-linux/

14 Posts

December 26th, 2015 03:00

If you have to do the 'upgrade' to WIN10 and then do a 'clean reinstall' for BASIC functionality of the OS to work, then why isn't it listed anywhere on the DELL page about WIN10 "upgrade"?  Especially with this post being months old.  

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to WIN10 on a Latitude 3550 (SUPPOSED TO BE WIN 10 TESTED/Compatible) - now taskbar doesn't work, start menu doesn't work, cant open internet access or volume, can't search the PC.   Yes I followed all the instructions and downloaded all the drivers.    VERY FRUSTRATED

14 Posts

December 26th, 2015 04:00

"FYI...w10 installed and ran OK but some fundamental features of the OS began to degrade.  It seems the problems I was encountering (such as Start menu and icons in system tray and Taskbar stopped working, Edge, Calculator, Search, Safely Remove Device, etc, disappeared), were shared by many other w10 upgraders."

This is what I am experiencing on a "supported" model a week old Latitude 3550-  upgrades "fine" but Taskbar, start menu etc.... not working.   Search shows many others are having these problems and after hours of researching I am having to run a bunch of esoteric powershell commands to find out the ,OS can't even repair itself (can't find files- DISM Error: 0x800f081f)   

If  WIN 10 is not ready for prime time and these machines can't successfully upgrade successfully each time/every time-  why is DELL even pushing the "upgrade"?   If the 'Support Rockstar' is suggesting to perform the upgrade and then do a 'clean install/repair install' then TELL US THAT AT THE BEGINNING so we are not wasting our time.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 26th, 2015 14:00

If you have to do the 'upgrade' to WIN10 and then do a 'clean reinstall' for BASIC functionality of the OS to work.

You don't have to upgrade and then clean install anymore. You can now directly clean install using Windows 10 TH2 installation media. Microsoft listened to some feedback so TH2 accepts Windows 7 OEM and Windows 8.x OEM keys allowing for direct clean installation.

Dell Community Rockstars are not Dell Employees and guides written by myself are not official Dell documentation.

The system with the Taskbar issue is it Windows 10 TH1 or Windows 10 TH2? Did this issue occur when you upgraded from Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 TH1, Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 TH1 or from Windows 10 TH1 to Windows 10 TH2?

14 Posts

December 26th, 2015 18:00

Apologize to all the Rock Stars,  been a really frustrating day with this PC and 'not ready for prime time' OS.

Philip, when I did the recovery install (which did nothing to correct the issues and was a total waste of a lot of a lot of my time today) it blew away my ability to go back to WIN 8.1.    I am not sure what TH1 or TH2 is,  I just wanted the stupid thing to work and as a user/customer, I really shouldn't have to know- I was put in this situation because of software bugs or major deficiencies in the OS installation which doesn't seem to do any error checking or decent fault isolation or error correction.   I've worked intechnology for 26 years and be glad that your phone systems are designed, tested, and vetted a lot better than this stuff is.   The build I am running is currently Version 1511 OS Build 10586.0.

I was advised on the MS Community site to do a 'clean install'.   Since I already had the USB ISO files,  I just tried reinstalling WIN 10 with the option of only retaining my files.   This finally seemed to work and give me what seems like a clean install without obvious errors (at least the Start Menu, Taskbar etc... works).  

So now I have to find out what was blown away in this 'son of son of the reinstall',  it looks like all my MS Office SW is gone and whatever bloatware that DELL installed on the PC as well.  Obviously all my customization will need to be redone.   This has been a huge time sink which is really unnecessary and uncalled for.   I hated the 8.1 OS,  if I could have received this new PC with WIN 7,  I would have opted for that- its a tool that I depend on and value stability and reliability over 'the new features'.  

7 Posts

December 26th, 2015 23:00

Hi

My issue is as outlined earlier. I have an Upgrade to 10 installed in a Separate Partition. It will NOT however accept The (DELL) OEM Windows 8.1 Key.

The perceived wisdom (apparently) is to do a clean Reinstall of 8.1 (which I despise) and then Load (upgrade to) 10. and then remove 8.1 and reinstall my Win7pro!!!. All this in order to get a Dual boot copy of win 10 as a Hedge against the day win 7 is no longer supported!!.

At this time, I lack the Enthusiasm to inflict the pain of "watching paint dry" whilst this is undertaken!!.

Pete

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 05:00

I would not recommend WIN 10- the installer is obviously not ready for 'prime time'.

No Events found!