deadbird8
1 Copper

RE: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Information on Obtaining a Clean Install

I would not recommend WIN 10- the installer is obviously not ready for 'prime time'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

I have an Upgrade to 10 installed in a Separate Partition. It will NOT however accept The (DELL) OEM Windows 8.1 Key.

More than likely the Dell OEM UEFI BIOS SLP key is for Windows 10 Home Single Language and you have installed Windows 10 Home... For Windows 10 TH2 Installation Media:

(A) For Windows 8/8.1/10 OEM the Windows 10 TH2 installation media will automatically input your UEFI BIOS Embedded System Locked Preinstallation Key during installation provided you have the correct Edition selected.

Win10OEMCorrect

(B) If you are installing the wrong Edition you will be asked for a key….

Win10OEMWrong

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

So now I have to find out what was blown away in this 'son of son of the reinstall',  it looks like all my MS Office SW is gone and whatever bloatware that DELL installed on the PC as well. 

Losing bloatware is a good thing and the clean install should perform much better.

Regarding Office if you have the key... Its usually simple to reinstall.

Office 2013/2016:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-office-365/

Office 2010:

https://www7.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/row/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-GB&ref=pkc

Office 2007:

https://www7.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/o12/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-GB&ref=o12&country_id=...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
BillX8300
1 Copper

I purchased my Dell XPS8300 from Costco in 2011 and overall it's been a good experience.  It came with Windows 7 and MS Office 2010 pre-installed.

In December 2014 I accepted MS's invitation to upgrade to Windows 10 Home.  My version currently is 10.0.10586 Build 10586. 

I had the Start Menu problem and resolved it by uninstalling Dropbox.  As yet I haven't re-installed DB. 

One program -- Makemusic Finale Printmusic -- does not accept my purchased serial number.  PM pops a message box saying I must log on as Windows Administrator.  I can confirm that was and remains the case. 

In a long dialog with the MM Support folks, they acknowledge the same problem being experienced by some Windows 10 Upgrade users.  But not with others, and never with Windows 10 pre-installed users. 

MM Support believes there may be an issue with Windows, saying they need Microsoft (or someone who knows the full Windows permissions architecture) to help resolve this.

In the Windows Community forum, there are references to similar permission and authorization problems .  Windows Support offers to address this but wants to charge for it. 

An option is to invoke something called Windows 10 Refresh, which installs Windows 10 and keeps the user's data.  What programs are retained or lost is a little vague.  I am concerned I will lose MS Office 2010 that came pre-installed by Dell. 

If any knowledgeable users or Dell folks are listening, please chime in with any advice and feedback. 

0 Kudos
matthewcrim
1 Copper

Windows 10 is the latest and most talked about Windows version which was first released for consumers on July 29, 2015. Windows 10 is currently being offered for free where many existing users are making the upgrade. You can get the windows 10 software for your system with free shipping service and coupon codes.

Windows 10 Home Promo Codes

0 Kudos