PeterH13
1 Copper

RE: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Information on Obtaining a Clean Install

I wanted a DUAL boot system. In order to get there. I had to use a program called "Rufus" to load the ISO to a NEW partion. My Inspiron has UEFI.

What I now have is a Dual boot system (with windows7). what I have not, Is the ability to get the Programme to accept the windows 8.1 OEM Product Code?

Any Idea`s?

Pete

0 Kudos
ChrisHolroyd
1 Copper

This is great content  post and this videos are very helpful for me..

Thanks

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Good news. Microsoft has decided to address almost all the Windows 10 installation issues I highlighted in Windows 10 TH2. Its available as a Windows Insider Preview just now but should be out soon, more details here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19657446

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10. To use the media creation tool, visit the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.

You can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Windows 10. The image can also be used to create installation media using a USB flash drive or DVD.

Windows 10 1511 disk images can also be downloaded from the Microsoft website from non-Windows 10 devices as well, to upgrade existing virtual machines on other platforms, such asApple's OS X.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Yes and I have already wrote a guide on making the Bootable USB within Linux just in case:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-th2-and-prepare-a-bootable-usb-on-linu...

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
deadbird8
1 Copper

If you have to do the 'upgrade' to WIN10 and then do a 'clean reinstall' for BASIC functionality of the OS to work, then why isn't it listed anywhere on the DELL page about WIN10 "upgrade"?  Especially with this post being months old.  

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to WIN10 on a Latitude 3550 (SUPPOSED TO BE WIN 10 TESTED/Compatible) - now taskbar doesn't work, start menu doesn't work, cant open internet access or volume, can't search the PC.   Yes I followed all the instructions and downloaded all the drivers.    VERY FRUSTRATED

0 Kudos
deadbird8
1 Copper

"FYI...w10 installed and ran OK but some fundamental features of the OS began to degrade.  It seems the problems I was encountering (such as Start menu and icons in system tray and Taskbar stopped working, Edge, Calculator, Search, Safely Remove Device, etc, disappeared), were shared by many other w10 upgraders."

This is what I am experiencing on a "supported" model a week old Latitude 3550-  upgrades "fine" but Taskbar, start menu etc.... not working.   Search shows many others are having these problems and after hours of researching I am having to run a bunch of esoteric powershell commands to find out the ,OS can't even repair itself (can't find files- DISM Error: 0x800f081f)   

If  WIN 10 is not ready for prime time and these machines can't successfully upgrade successfully each time/every time-  why is DELL even pushing the "upgrade"?   If the 'Support Rockstar' is suggesting to perform the upgrade and then do a 'clean install/repair install' then TELL US THAT AT THE BEGINNING so we are not wasting our time.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

If you have to do the 'upgrade' to WIN10 and then do a 'clean reinstall' for BASIC functionality of the OS to work.

You don't have to upgrade and then clean install anymore. You can now directly clean install using Windows 10 TH2 installation media. Microsoft listened to some feedback so TH2 accepts Windows 7 OEM and Windows 8.x OEM keys allowing for direct clean installation.

Dell Community Rockstars are not Dell Employees and guides written by myself are not official Dell documentation.

The system with the Taskbar issue is it Windows 10 TH1 or Windows 10 TH2? Did this issue occur when you upgraded from Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 TH1, Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 TH1 or from Windows 10 TH1 to Windows 10 TH2?

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
deadbird8
1 Copper

Apologize to all the Rock Stars,  been a really frustrating day with this PC and 'not ready for prime time' OS.

Philip, when I did the recovery install (which did nothing to correct the issues and was a total waste of a lot of a lot of my time today) it blew away my ability to go back to WIN 8.1.    I am not sure what TH1 or TH2 is,  I just wanted the stupid thing to work and as a user/customer, I really shouldn't have to know- I was put in this situation because of software bugs or major deficiencies in the OS installation which doesn't seem to do any error checking or decent fault isolation or error correction.   I've worked intechnology for 26 years and be glad that your phone systems are designed, tested, and vetted a lot better than this stuff is.   The build I am running is currently Version 1511 OS Build 10586.0.

I was advised on the MS Community site to do a 'clean install'.   Since I already had the USB ISO files,  I just tried reinstalling WIN 10 with the option of only retaining my files.   This finally seemed to work and give me what seems like a clean install without obvious errors (at least the Start Menu, Taskbar etc... works).  

So now I have to find out what was blown away in this 'son of son of the reinstall',  it looks like all my MS Office SW is gone and whatever bloatware that DELL installed on the PC as well.  Obviously all my customization will need to be redone.   This has been a huge time sink which is really unnecessary and uncalled for.   I hated the 8.1 OS,  if I could have received this new PC with WIN 7,  I would have opted for that- its a tool that I depend on and value stability and reliability over 'the new features'.  

PeterH13
1 Copper

Hi

My issue is as outlined earlier. I have an Upgrade to 10 installed in a Separate Partition. It will NOT however accept The (DELL) OEM Windows 8.1 Key.

The perceived wisdom (apparently) is to do a clean Reinstall of 8.1 (which I despise) and then Load (upgrade to) 10. and then remove 8.1 and reinstall my Win7pro!!!. All this in order to get a Dual boot copy of win 10 as a Hedge against the day win 7 is no longer supported!!.

At this time, I lack the Enthusiasm to inflict the pain of "watching paint dry" whilst this is undertaken!!.

Pete