Highlighted
aajax
1 Nickel

How to learn specifics about what Dell services are doing?

Reviewing the operation of my new Dell Inspiron 3670 it is noticed that there are no fewer than 8 services running that appear to be supplied by Dell.  Possibly there are others that are less conspicuous.  Is it possible that Dell provides some reference information describing the purpose of these services and particularly the consequences of stopping them from running.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: How to learn specifics about what Dell services are doin

Not that I've ever seen, but I thought they had sufficient names and/or descriptions.

I prefer a "clean Microsoft Windows install" , or at least uninstalling SupportASSist and the other non-sense.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Might help if you list the services you're questioning.

Some of them could be related to Dell SupportAssist which monitors PC health, searches for and offers driver updates, etc.
https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/so...

If you don't want/need SupportAssist you could disable it or uninstall it, meaning the related services won't run.
<

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
aajax
1 Nickel

Sounds like we might be of similar mind. At first glance it looks like Win10 is quite blotted which particularly includes something new to me called apps (e.g., as opposed to programs I suppose). Was able to find some material describing what that's about but the review is still in progress.  I think I figured out how to remove them but would like to know how to restore something I'm licensed to use should I change my mind.  Is that possible?

I'd say the service names provide a clue but I'd like some particulars. RoHe offered a link to the kind of material I was thinking of. This definitely looks like something I'd want disabled if not removed. Am also pretty sure I don't want anything to do with extra Dell partitions that I found. One is labeled DELLSUPPORT. Might it be related to Support Assist? Anyway, the first thing I've done is create an image file (.wim) to use for recovery. Even tested out the recovery procedure which depends on Windows 10 Installer which is a bit flaky but I am now running without those extra Dell partitions. To be honest I also don't think I want anything to do with the built in Windows recovery features. I also need to learn how to disable that and if possible get rid of the the WINRETOOLS partition. There is something about the idea of relying on a system in need of recovery to do the recovery that provides no confidence in the result but might that have something to do with the idea of an extra partition? My preference is to drop back to a known well functioning system.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

It's not exactly a space issue on the hard drive these days, like it was before we had terabyte drives...

Things like SupportAssist can be downloaded and reinstalled for free on a Dell PC, if the need arises. If you purchased other software through Dell (eg, Microsoft Office) you can download it again via Dell Digital Delivery.

Anything else, if it has a Product Key, make sure you have it before uninstalling the app.

If you delete the WINRETOOLS partition you won't be able to reset or refresh the OS, should that be necessary. You can always create a bootable USB with the latest Win 10 ISO  from the MS site. That will be more up-to-date than any image you create, but -obviously- won't give you back any of your customized settings, installed apps, or personal files. So if nothing else, get in habit of backing up personal files on an external USB hard drive on regular basis.

Go through all the Win 10 Privacy settings and make whatever changes you want, even if the OS complains about it. And check Task Scheduler too to see what's running behind the scenes that you don't need or want.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos