Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2015 14:00

Inspiron 15R N5110: Black Screen after Win 10 Upgrade

Until recently my Inspiron 15R (running Windows 7) would not allow a Windows 10 upgrade.  It would say that Dell had not certified this device with Win 10 due to BIOS issues.  About a week ago I had to do a complete "bare metal" Windows re-install so took that opportunity to download all the latest drivers and the latest BIOS.  I didn't think any more about it until today when it popped up and asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10.  I figured I would get the same "can't upgrade" message but decided to go ahead and try.  To my surprise it downloaded and installed Windows 10.

However: I can boot and log into Windows 10 and can see my desktop for about 5 to 10 seconds.  Then the screen goes black.  I can see (and move) the mouse pointer but nothing other than the mouse pointer shows on the screen.

I figured it must be an incompatible video driver (although as I said, it does display the desktop just fine for a few seconds), so decided to boot into SAFE mode to see if I could resolve the issue.  But the exact same thing happens when I boot into SAFE mode.  I see the desktop for a few seconds and then it goes black, with nothing other than the mouse pointer being displayed.

Any thoughts on a resolution?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 04:00

fisher99,

You may want to put Windows 7 back on the system since no windows 10 drivers are available for this computer.

14.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 07:00

Out of curiosity, is your video card inbuilt or a third party discrete one and do you run your laptop without a battery?

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 20:00

It's a built in Intel HD  3000 video card.  I've updated to the latest drivers for the card,  but to no avail.  Interestingly enough I can stay the task manager and then run apps like Windows File Explorer or MSCONFIG and they display just fine on the black screen,  but the desktop oboe shows for a few seconds before going black.

Anyway,  after several hours of research and trying things that didn't work, I finally bit the bullet and restored to the Windows 7 image that I created before upgrading to 10.  I learned a lot along the way though,  so it wasn't totally wasted time. .. :)

1 Message

November 23rd, 2015 21:00

I had the exact same problem. You have to uninstall a certain sound driver, and everything will work perfectly after that. I can't recall the name of the driver but it was listed in the add/remove programs menu and all you have to do is uninstall it and restart.

1 Message

December 30th, 2015 07:00

I also have the N5110 and recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home Edition (64 bit). I had the black screen issue as well, and finally figured out it was defaulting to an extended display. I plugged into my TV and was finally able to see that Windows had installed properly. I deleted the HD Intel drivers, and it defaulted to a Microsoft driver. This made my built in laptop display work, but the resolution kept defaulting to 1024 x 768, which is not the native resolution.

I found another thread in the Dell community on this same issue, and followed the advice of trying to update my BIOS version first. I updated it to the latest available, and then updated the drivers for the HD 3000 Intel Graphics Driver, and everything is back to normal. My built in display is outputting at the native resolution of 1366 x 768, and it is looking and running great. I hope this helps others who run into this same issue.

22 Posts

December 1st, 2017 00:00

Thanks. The update the BIOS (to A05) worked and I now have the Windows 10 Video Driver working properly. What a shock it was as I attempted an update to Windows 10, and them tryed to update the drivers when the screen went black. The updated driver now works in Windows 10 and I am a happy man.

1 Message

August 18th, 2018 08:00

using without battery and if i disable the graphic driver only then display comes back.

August 21st, 2019 03:00

Thank you very much! This worked I simply downloaded the latest Bios and flashed it it. And it worked thank you! 

3 Posts

January 9th, 2020 18:00

I had the same problem with BIOS A07 on an Inspiron 15R N5110. Thanks for the information! I just added a second monitor to finish the setup. I just installed the latest BIOS which is A11 and everything went fine after the reboot! You just saved my day!

Carl;

1 Message

September 14th, 2020 02:00

when we suppose to get the driver for this issue 

5.6K Posts

September 16th, 2020 14:00

@maheshgote9 

There is a new BIOS version A03.  It may be worthwhile to upgrade. 

For the N5050, it was necessary to have the latest BIOS for Windows 10 to work.

16 Posts

October 19th, 2020 23:00

I was facing the same issue its due to the Graphics driver,

Soloution:-  update the Bios to latest version which is A11 , black screen will not appear again

No Events found!