Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2016 08:00

Inspiron 3520 and Windows 10 "upgrade."

I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade recently and now my Wi-Fi adapter won't work.  I thought I had done my homework, at least on the Microsoft site, to ensure that my machine would be compatible.  Now that I check even further, I see that Inspiron 3520 is listed as not compatible on the Dell site.  Unfortunately it was more than 30 days ago, so the easy open to just revert back has disappeared from the machine.  Do I have any option other than to just completely re-install 8.1?  Of course I haven't a clue where my original documentation and system discs are now, since my machine is almost 4 years old and I haven't had any issues like this before. 

Help?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 13th, 2016 03:00

What wireless card do you have? What are the hardware IDs?

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/checking-hardware-ids-in-the-device-manager/

Check

6 Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

Dell Wireless 1703 802.1b/g/n 2.4GHz)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Dell Inspiron 3520

Dell Inc. A09, 9/9/2013

UEFI

Secure boot state - On

Let me know if you need more info! And thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 13th, 2016 12:00

6 Posts

January 13th, 2016 14:00

I am still having the same issue with my wireless connection.  It's intermittent.  It stopped working and said "no internet" for about 6 hours yesterday, then for five minutes this morning, and now it's back.  The improvements I noticed yesterday might have had to do with the other update I performed, everything seems to be working faster, when it's working.

Other suggestions? 

````````````I am back in business.  Thank you!!  The problem was intermittent before so I hope this lasts.  I see an improvement already.  ```````````````

6 Posts

January 15th, 2016 09:00

Also, the machine warns me that it's low on memory and to close all programs before work is lost.  I have only had internet explorer open at those times.  And then the screen goes black, but the status lights are still on and blinking.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 17th, 2016 14:00

You might want to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 TH2. A Clean install always performs better than an upgrade install:

See video 4 and 5:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

6 Posts

January 18th, 2016 09:00

Thanks.  Before I re-install, do you have an opinion on whether or not my machine is actually compatible?  I reached out because I found my machine on a list of models that is not supported by Windows 10.  Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 18th, 2016 12:00

Dell haven't tested it which doesn't mean that its not compatible. There are only two Dell models (that shipped with Windows 7 or 8) I've seen from the forums with serious issues is the XPS 14z (5423) and the XPS 2710.

I have an XPS 8300 (not supported by Dell for Windows 10), Latitude E5510 (not supported by Dell for Windows 10) and Latitude D820 (not supported by Dell for Windows 10). These 3 models are significantly older than your one.

Also the since Windows 10 was running on your machine (with only minor glitches from the upgrade/old drivers) I'd say it should work fine on a clean install.

6 Posts

February 1st, 2016 09:00

Thank you for the help! I will try a clean install hopefully the next time it decides to connect again.

No Events found!