Highlighted
joshmarvig
Copper

Inspiron N5050 Windows 7 to 10 upgrade fail, need to restore

When I tried upgrading from windows 7 to 10 on my Inspiron N5050 the screen had the windows 10 logo and spinning dots below it before going black. I had to hard restart my laptop. I contacted dell support  who said windows 10 was not compatable with my computer. They said I needed to restore my OS back to windows 7. When I start my computer I  can enter the bootup menu briefly before it automatically goes the windows 10 logo with the spinning dots. It stays like this for about a minute before going to the black screen. Any help with restoring to windows 7 from this point?

29 Replies
Letterstojj
Bronze

RE: Inspiron N5050 Windows 7 to 10 upgrade fail, need to restore

I have the exact same problem and I can't figure out how get back Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Firebirdha
Copper

I had this problem too. I restarted the computer 4 times before I tried this.

I closed the lid, let it go to sleep, then opened the lid again. 

Boom, green screen asking for my accounts log in and the next stages of the install/upgrade process.

That was with an N5050, upgrading from win 7 (with ubuntu 14.04 partition and using GRUB bootloader).

I guess somewhere win10 just forgot to display the next page.

Firebirdha
Copper

I was doing the same (upgrading N5050 from 7 to 10), had the same issue (also had ubuntu partition and GRUB to worry about). Computer restarted (after the installing circle). Win10 logo and spinning dots. Then black screen (no cursor) for about 4 hours. I hard restarted 4 times to the same effect.

Closed lid, let it got to sleep, then opened lid.

Up pops the Win 10 log in screen for moving onto the next bit (configuration by the looks). I'm on the win 10 desktop not even 20 minutes later (with Steam asking me for log in details).

Found the solution here. Method 2:
superuser.com/.../black-screen-without-cursor-after-upgrading-to-windows-10

Looks like win 10 forgets to use the display a fair bit.

0 Kudos
Shadowblast
Copper

I have the same problem but i got to know it wasn't compatible the hard way!!

I tried upgrading thrice and failed all times...I had the same problem all the three times and here is what i did

The first time, the windows automatically rolled back to windows 7 after i forced restart a couple of times.

The second time i used the windows 10 recovery options which can be used by pressing the F8 key during startup and you will have an option of rolling back to win 7 in advanced options.(But it's a one time only)

Before i tried it a third time i created a repair disk and also made a backup just to be safe. And i was glad i did. None of the above two options worked the third time so i had to restore an image with the help of a repair disk.

Hope this helps!!!!

0 Kudos

Hey so are you saying that you had a successful install by simply closing your display,  putting your system to sleep? 

i wonder if anyone has  tried doing the install with an external monitor connected the whole time.

Inspiron 15 N5050
intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
4GB Memeory
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
BIOS Version A05

AAS Information Technology / Computer Technician

0 Kudos
Firebirdha
Copper

Yeah that's correct. I upgraded. Win10 did it's thing (about an hour of installing stuff, rebooting three times). Then the Win10 logo would come up when booting then just disappear (leaving a black screen). From there I restarted it 4 times to the same effect before I saw that thread on the superuser site. Closed the lid to the N5050, waited for the fan to stop then opened it and I was at the next screen.

I have to do this every time I turn on or restart in windows.

I also had a sound issue not long after (internal speakers failed), fixed by going into device manager and uninstalling then reinstalling the audio stuff in the "sound, video and game controllers" tab, not had any problem with that since (about a week).

Today when it rebooted I think it crashed (the sleep thing didn't work and the fan's wouldn't stop, I hard rebooted it twice and then it was suddenly working again) and a few hours ago the screen kept flashing off and on (almost like there's dodgy connections in the computer, but it seemed deliberate/controlled instead of dodgy soldering/contacts in the way it flashed).

Tbh I'd leave upgrading to Win10 if you want a functional/reliable computer. Only reason I upgraded the n5050 was curiosity and someone has to be beta testers xD and I don't care for this laptop much (my old and still going strong 1545 is much better tbh). I use my Win7 home build for reliability.

But I will say, when it is working, it's a smidge more sprightly than 7 and runs a bit cooler when playing videos. It kinda feels like driving a 1litre car (7)  vs a 125cc motorcycle (10). 

0 Kudos
Firebirdha
Copper

Yeah that's correct. I upgraded. Win10 did it's thing (about an hour of installing stuff, rebooting three times). Then the Win10 logo would come up when booting then just disappear (leaving a black screen). From there I restarted it 4 times to the same effect before I saw that thread on the superuser site. Closed the lid to the N5050, waited for the fan to stop then opened it and I was at the next screen.

I also had a sound issue not long after (internal speakers failed), fixed by going into device manager and uninstalling then reinstalling the audio stuff in the "sound, video and game controllers" tab, not had any problem with that since (about a week).

Today when it rebooted I think it crashed (the sleep thing didn't work and the fan's wouldn't stop, I hard rebooted it twice and then it was suddenly working again) and a few hours ago the screen kept flashing off and on (almost like there's dodgy connections in the computer, but it seemed deliberate/controlled instead of dodgy soldering/contacts in the way it flashed).

Tbh I'd leave upgrading to Win10 if you want a functional/reliable computer. Only reason I upgraded the n5050 was curiosity and someone has to be beta testers xD and I don't care for this laptop much (my old and still going strong 1545 is much better tbh). I use my Win7 home build for reliability.

But I will say, when it is working, it's a smidge more sprightly than 7 and runs a bit cooler when playing videos. It kinda feels like driving a 1litre car (7)  vs a 125cc motorcycle (10). 

Firebirdharris.

0 Kudos

Thanks allot for coming up with this for us, it was quick tihinking

i now have something to add that i found that might be relevant to try. 

Try, turning off QUICK BOOT /startup 

you can turn off quick startup by going to control panel -> Power options -> Choose what the power button does (on the left side) -> Select 'change settings that are currently unavailable' (it looks like a web link) -> then, uncheck fast startup. and try a restart.

Inspiron 15 N5050
intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
4GB Memeory
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
BIOS Version A05

AAS Information Technology / Computer Technician

0 Kudos
michael2471
Copper

Hi I have the same issue but I plugged an external monitor into the port on the side of the N5050 and that comes on instantly and allows you to restore your system from there

0 Kudos