Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2015 11:00

Intel HD 3000/2000 Graphics (Sandy Bridge) not supported in Windows 10 on Dell XPS 13 (L321X)

According to the Intel website, the HD 3000/2000 Sandy Bridge graphics are not supported in Windows 10. See link below. It's the very last one listed under Intel Core Processors:

www.intel.com/.../CS-034343.htm

I decided to give the Windows 10 upgrade a shot on my Dell XPS 13 L321X since my Windows Update told me that my system was Windows 10 compatible. However after the upgrade I noticed the screen would become distorted intermittently.

In the meantime, I've currently disabled the graphics drivers that Windows 10 automatically assigned to my computer after the upgrade in order to prevent the screen from distorting so I could post this message. While this current graphics mode (1024x768) is not pretty, I was hoping someone @ Dell was aware of this issue and if there will be a patch/fix for this issue?

It's a bit confusing that my system was considered to be Windows 10 compatible as evidenced by the update only to find out after-the-fact that Intel specifically mentions that my particular graphics driver is not Windows 10 compatible. And since this intermittent screen distortion validates the issue at hand, I'm afraid I'll have to revert back to Windows 7.

So if anyone @ Dell knows of a possible fix, I'd appreciate it.

12 Posts

September 8th, 2015 11:00

For the record, I'm using the latest BIOS A08 for this laptop too, so that's already been verified.

371 Posts

September 8th, 2015 12:00

have u tried the intel web page?

12 Posts

September 8th, 2015 13:00

Well that lasted about 10 minutes before the screen distortion showed up again. So I'll just revert back to Windows 7. It doesn't look like Windows 10 is going to work for this particular model.

12 Posts

September 8th, 2015 13:00

So far I've tried the following:

Uninstalled graphics driver in Device Manager. Reboot. - Did not fix.

Uninstalled every driver possible in Device Manager. Reboot. - Worked well for the first 20 minutes without the screen distorting. Then it started distorting intermittently like before.

Uninstalled the graphics driver again by Rolling Back driver in the graphics properties. Then went to Intel's website and downloaded the latest Windows 7/8 graphics driver for the HD 3000. Since it does not list a Windows 10 driver there, I went ahead and installed the latest Windows 7/8 driver and rebooted. It appears to have installed fine. But it's only been 5 minutes since I installed it. If the screen starts to distort again, then I'll likely just revert back to Windows 7 and forget Windows 10.

I'll post back if anything changes.

12 Posts

September 8th, 2015 14:00

As a last resort I decided to try installing the original Dell factory graphics driver that came with the laptop. No dice. I get this message:

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

I didn't think it'd work, but it was worth a shot anyway.

Back to Windows 7.

5.2K Posts

September 8th, 2015 15:00

According to the Dell Win 10 list, the L-321X is compatible with Win 10. Did you look into the Driver Pack from Dell for the L321X? I don't know what drivers it contains, but you should install everything there. Sometimes the problem can be in some other system than the video driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DDX76&fileId=3477426268&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-l321x&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

5.2K Posts

September 8th, 2015 15:00

In addition, only the First Generation of Core processors are not compatible with Win 10. You should have, according to Dell, a second generation CPU, which is compatible. Here is a site for a BETA-driver set for these.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/76992

I wouldn't use these, but look for a final video driver ( and other drivers).

12 Posts

September 8th, 2015 16:00

Thanks KirkD for the follow-up. I've decided to stick with Windows 7 due to the trackpad gestures. I noticed in Windows 10 that the trackpad gestures were different from Windows 7. For example, I can't swipe top-to-bottom with three fingers within my internet browser to jump between different tabs in Windows 10. This is particularly important in my day-to-day usage. Therefore it makes sense to stick with Windows 7 since I'm already familiar with the trackpad gestures within it.

9 Posts

January 21st, 2016 06:00

I have been experiencing the same issue since upgrading to Windows 10, and it is really annoying.  The Dell support site clearly states, "Dell has tested this product to confirm that it can upgrade to Windows 10,"  which I guess is true, because I did upgrade the product to Windows 10, however, with the random screen flickering, it is hardly usable.

219 Posts

July 30th, 2016 12:00

There are new drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 series hardware BUT they are only available thru either Windows Update or Microsoft Update Catalog and only provide basic graphics features.

Version 9.17.10.4459 dated 5/19/2016 - for Windows 10 x64 only (most likely for Win10 Anniversary Update or "Redstone 1" release of Win10 but may work on older Win10 builds) - use Internet Explorer to view the Microsoft Update Catalog site.

No Events found!