Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2015 15:00

Is Dell Update needed in Windows 10? What does it update exactly?

I've had the Dell Update program for a while now and still don't know what it does... well, I know it's supposed to update drivers apparently, and it says it checks every few days, but exactly which things does it update? Is it ALL drivers on my system, or just certain ones? How important is Dell Update?

I'm also curious if I even need this Dell Update program now that I have upgraded to Windows 10? I keep hearing that Windows 10 automatic updates does all the work?

I'm kind of an amateur...

Thanks in advance!

• 

16.7K Posts

September 14th, 2015 05:00

LadyA,

The Dell updates will sometime update drivers when they create one to possibly resolve certain things. It may not be all the time. You can either disable the updates and do it manually every so often or just let it do it automatically.

21 Posts

September 14th, 2015 14:00

Okay, thank you... I do understand that it's my choice whether to keep it on or not, but I'm mostly just not clear on what it updates? All programs? Or only certain Dell ones? (Like if I disable it, which things should I then monitor and manually check for updates on every once in a while?)

Since it's "Dell Update" I guess it's obviously a Dell program, so does it only update programs that are from Dell specifically? Like "Dell Support Assist"? I can't think of any other Dell specific programs I have at the moment, but I guess there could be more.

Or is it checking also for updates to the factory installed hardware, for example? (I bought my computer, a Dell XPS 8500, preinstalled with Windows and other programs, so I assume the Dell Update program can read my Service Tag and check for appropriate updates based on the hardware it came with? Or am I wrong on that?)

Thanks again in advance!

371 Posts

September 14th, 2015 19:00

no , ur not wrong. mostly for device drivers and such. but also the programs installed by dell.  funny enough, i seen this post right after reading yours. (down below) wanted to say, i turned off and uninstalled anything that does auto updates. i had some problems after going to win 10. once i got it working good, i dont want to mess anything up without knowing how it got there. i read somewhere else, dont worry about driver updates until u have something that is not working right, then try updating that item. otherwords, if its not broke, dont fix it.

hope im not confusing the issue

Dell Update is not compatible with windows 10. So if you have updated to 10, uninstall Dell update. It is not a crucial utility anyway. 

Dell Update Application

This package provides the Dell Update Application and is supported on Inspiron, Vostro, XPS, and Dell Venue systems running Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.

21 Posts

September 14th, 2015 21:00

Okay, thanks! That makes sense, I think I will disable or uninstall the Dell Update then. I like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" option. :-) I'll just manually update things if something has problems.

I had actually checked to see if Dell Update was compatible with Windows 10 right after I upgraded, but I just figured maybe Dell hadn't updated its website to add Windows 10 yet (I've noticed a lot of programs and websites aren't listing Windows 10 yet). But still, I'm going to uninstall Dell Update for now.

Thanks again!

1 Message

March 12th, 2019 19:00

Unlike previous versions of Windows, Windows 10 provides all the drivers.  The only update you can get from Dell is the BIOS.

No Events found!