Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2015 11:00

Is my Inspiron 1545 compatible with Upcoming Windows 7?

If so, will my Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 be adequate? Will it have to be re-installed? I'm not a techie, I don't know what I don't know and feeling rather frightened of possible consequences.

(I found my documentation right after I posted the last query!)   

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 06:00

Thank you so much! I don't understand everything but it's clear that clear that my computer isn't a candidate for the upgrade. I was considering getting a new computer anyway, but it won't be for a few months. In the meantime - how do I un-reserve Windows 10?  

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 06:00

LittleJoey                                                                                     

It may work on your computer, but it is not supported by Dell and will not have any Windows 10 drivers. Below are the system specs to run Windows 10.

August 15th, 2015 11:00

Did you make a mistake in the question title?  Did you intend to ask about upgrading to Windows 10?  Your later comment does imply that.

If so then the answer is that a Dell Inspiron 1545 works well with Windows 10. 

I assume that you are running Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 so that you qualify for the free upgrade.  Personally, I do not think Windows 10 would be worth buying even though I am happy with it on my computer.

Do consider waiting a few months to upgrade.  Many users have been having problems since upgrading and their experiences should help to ensure that the OS is improved.  Take advantage of their difficulties by delaying your own upgrade.  I have Windows 10 in a dual-boot arrangement and am not upgrading my main Windows 7 installation until late November.  We have until 29th July 2016 to do the upgrade so there's no rush.

[I do not understand the reply you received about Windows 10 not being supported by Dell.  Given that our Dell Inspiron 1545 computers are made of components that are "legacy" hardware, the same could be said for sticking with Windows 7 anyway.  Perhaps I misread something about your computer model, I cannot get back to the thread while I'm typing this reply.]

1  You will probably find that it initially installs a default driver for the Intel Series 4 display card that has quite poor resolution but Windows 10 update will then identify the display correctly and install a proper driver for it to achieve its normal 1366x768 resolution.

2  If your WiFi card is a Dell [BroadCom] 1397 then the default driver will give poor reception strength [this card was a problem in Windows 7 as well].  You can download a replacement driver from the Windows update catalog.  See Dell 1397 WLAN card driver ditty and further down the same page Dell 1397 WLAN card driver installation procedure ditty.

3  Your Office 2007 version works in Windows 10 - I use Office Pro 2007 and have no problems with it in windows 10.  It should not need reinstallation.  However, as things can go wrong, you should check that your installation disk still works and that you have still got your Office Product Key so that you can reinstall if necessary.  You will find lots of advice about Office 2007 in the Office 2007 forum.

4  Naturally, you should complete the normal precautions for such a comprehensive upgrade [there is advice about each of these in the Windows 7 forum] -

4.1  Test your Windows 7 System repair disk or your Windows 7 installation disk to make sure it is still working correctly [that it can still boot your computer],

4.2  Make a System image on an external drive

4.3  Backup your own files to an external drive

4.4 Copy all application Product keys and downloaded installation files to an external drive.

4.5  Check that all other application installation disks [CDs/DVDs] are still readable

5  If your particular hardware configuration differs from mine and you need to find drivers for other devices, see Where to get hardware drivers

6  If you have any queries related to the links above then post the queries in the relevant threads.  Otherwise, just reply here.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2015 23:00

hey ... I did install windows 10 recently but problem is 

- Low Resolution !  everything looks big and fuzzy .... then i did try to install Intel GM45 graphics (that's responsible for display right ?)  .... box pooped up with massage .. 

-You already have newer version of driver 10.xxxx something ! do you want to replace with it 9.xxx older ?

so i canceled it (older version was from dell support)  New i don't know where it came from may be Windows 10 itself ?? (Note - Dell support shows only 9.xx version latest -no 10.xx there)

is there any other driver for display ??    ATI redon or something ??

Problem 2 -- I heard it But not tried people said bluethooth driver don't work ! is it ? I will try that first.

Any extra suggestions/tips are welcome.

September 18th, 2015 09:00

Samski,

I used Windows update and the driver it then installed was fine - As I wrote before, "You will probably find that it initially installs a default driver for the Intel Series 4 display card that has quite poor resolution but Windows 10 update will then identify the display correctly and install a proper driver for it to achieve its normal 1366x768 resolution."

I also tried the Dell driver R260552 for the display and that also worked OK.

I cannot comment on Bluetooth as I have never used it.

No Events found!