JcSj
1 Copper

Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

My new laptop ran Dell Updates overnight a couple of days ago and I had to power it up the next morning, only to discover it was a complete restart and the programs I had open were closed. Luckily I think I was able to recover everything from the closed applications, but is there a way to tell Dell Updates when I want to restart the computer?

Also, I was able to do this with Windows 10 before the anniversary update, but the option seems to have disappeared in the settings now.

17 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly follow the the steps below and check if this helps :

1. Navigate to the Setings menu. You can get there by selecting Settings from the Start menu.

2. Select Update & Security.

3. Click Advanced options.

4. Change the dropdown from Automatic (recommended) to "Notify to schedule restart"

Windows will now tell you when an automatic update requires a restart and ask you when you want to schedule the restart. You'll see the option to select the time and day (up to 6 days forward) in Windows Update like below.

Kindly let us know if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

RE: Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

JcSj,

You can go into the Settings and click on the update section, From there click the Update Settings section and choose to change active hours you are on the computer. This way when updates are installed the computer will not restart unless it is within the time you have specified.

0 Kudos
JcSj
1 Copper

DELL-ROBIN D, that dropdown box was there before the anniversary update, but it has disappeared. That's why I can't change the setting anymore.

JcSj
1 Copper

Jesse L, the active hours are not a good substitute for being able to manually restart the computer whenever I would like to. If it restarts itself overnight and I have programs open, they are shut down and don't necessarily open back up correctly. This is a very frustrating situation that did not exist before the anniversary update.

JcSj,

You can also do the Dell updates when you have time. To disable the Dell Support Alerts by following the steps below.

Step 1Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.
Step 2Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.
Step 3Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

0 Kudos
JcSj
1 Copper

I can't find Dell Support Center on the Start Menu.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Alternatively you can try the following steps:

Press win+R then type gpedit.msc and press enter

This will open the group policy editor. Browse through the 'tree' to the following entry: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

Look on the right panel and search for the option named No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.

Double-click on it, then change the radio button in the popup window that will appear from not configured to enabled and click OK.

To make the system immediately apply the changes you just made, press WIN + R again and issue the gpupdate /force command

Kindly let is know if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

JcSj
1 Copper

I have Windows 10 Home, which apparently doesn't include the group policy editor. It says it can't find gpedit.msc

beamermt79
4 Germanium

Windows 10 Home does not allow you to manipulate updates.  You MAY be able to postpone them for a few hours/days in the settings menu, but you cannot stop them. That was one of the big things with Windows 10.