Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2016 18:00

Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

My new laptop ran Dell Updates overnight a couple of days ago and I had to power it up the next morning, only to discover it was a complete restart and the programs I had open were closed. Luckily I think I was able to recover everything from the closed applications, but is there a way to tell Dell Updates when I want to restart the computer?

Also, I was able to do this with Windows 10 before the anniversary update, but the option seems to have disappeared in the settings now.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 29th, 2016 06:00

JcSj,

You can go into the Settings and click on the update section, From there click the Update Settings section and choose to change active hours you are on the computer. This way when updates are installed the computer will not restart unless it is within the time you have specified.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 29th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly follow the the steps below and check if this helps :

1. Navigate to the Setings menu. You can get there by selecting Settings from the Start menu.

2. Select Update & Security.

3. Click Advanced options.

4. Change the dropdown from Automatic (recommended) to "Notify to schedule restart"

Windows will now tell you when an automatic update requires a restart and ask you when you want to schedule the restart. You'll see the option to select the time and day (up to 6 days forward) in Windows Update like below.

Kindly let us know if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

6 Posts

September 29th, 2016 20:00

Jesse L, the active hours are not a good substitute for being able to manually restart the computer whenever I would like to. If it restarts itself overnight and I have programs open, they are shut down and don't necessarily open back up correctly. This is a very frustrating situation that did not exist before the anniversary update.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2016 20:00

DELL-ROBIN D, that dropdown box was there before the anniversary update, but it has disappeared. That's why I can't change the setting anymore.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 30th, 2016 07:00

JcSj,

You can also do the Dell updates when you have time. To disable the Dell Support Alerts by following the steps below.

Step 1Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.
Step 2Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.
Step 3Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 30th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Alternatively you can try the following steps:

Press win+R then type gpedit.msc and press enter

This will open the group policy editor. Browse through the 'tree' to the following entry: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

Look on the right panel and search for the option named No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.

Double-click on it, then change the radio button in the popup window that will appear from not configured to enabled and click OK.

To make the system immediately apply the changes you just made, press WIN + R again and issue the gpupdate /force command

Kindly let is know if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

6 Posts

September 30th, 2016 11:00

I can't find Dell Support Center on the Start Menu.

6 Posts

October 1st, 2016 10:00

I have Windows 10 Home, which apparently doesn't include the group policy editor. It says it can't find gpedit.msc

2.3K Posts

October 1st, 2016 11:00

Windows 10 Home does not allow you to manipulate updates.  You MAY be able to postpone them for a few hours/days in the settings menu, but you cannot stop them. That was one of the big things with Windows 10.

6 Posts

October 1st, 2016 12:00

BeamerMT79, I know I can't stop the updates. I just wish the ability to restart on my schedule hadn't been taken away with the anniversary update. I used to be able to leave programs open and my laptop closed and everything would be in the right place when I opened it up again, but now I have to shut everything down to avoid having things wiped out with an automatic restart.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 11:00

Hi Jcsj,

Kindly follow the steps below :

On the Search panel, enter group policy in the box and click Edit group policy.

or

Access the editor from Start Menu.

Click the bottom-left Start button to open the Start Menu, enter gpedit.msc in the empty box and tap gpedit in the results.

or

Access Group Policy Editor through Command Prompt.

Step 1: Open the Quick Access Menu with Windows+X, and click Command Prompt.

Step 2: Type gpedit (or gpedit.msc) in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter.

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Jcsj,

We are waiting to hear from you.

Thanks

Robin

October 15th, 2016 11:00

wow i am trying to do this and it is taking a lot of time so far.

did some1 design this this way on purpose?

March 8th, 2017 00:00

I just had a firmware update shutdown all my apps and work I had open and reboot my computer while I was talking with a client.

As the other commenters say, Windows 10 Home doesn't give you access to group policy or allow you to control your updates.  Until I can find a proper solution, I've disabled the updates service to ensure it won't happen again and just manually turn it back on when I want to check for updates.  

It seems a very backwards step if there isn't an option somewhere to easily customise this to take back control to suit my working environment.  

2.3K Posts

March 8th, 2017 09:00

You should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.  From there you can postpone updates a short time.

No Events found!