JcSj
1 Copper

RE: Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

BeamerMT79, I know I can't stop the updates. I just wish the ability to restart on my schedule hadn't been taken away with the anniversary update. I used to be able to leave programs open and my laptop closed and everything would be in the right place when I opened it up again, but now I have to shut everything down to avoid having things wiped out with an automatic restart.

0 Kudos
DELL-Robin D
4 Beryllium

RE: Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

Hi Jcsj,

Kindly follow the steps below :

On the Search panel, enter group policy in the box and click Edit group policy.

or

Access the editor from Start Menu.

Click the bottom-left Start button to open the Start Menu, enter gpedit.msc in the empty box and tap gpedit in the results.

or

Access Group Policy Editor through Command Prompt.

Step 1: Open the Quick Access Menu with Windows+X, and click Command Prompt.

Step 2: Type gpedit (or gpedit.msc) in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
DELL-Robin D
4 Beryllium

Hi Jcsj,

We are waiting to hear from you.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
pattern math
1 Copper

wow i am trying to do this and it is taking a lot of time so far.

did some1 design this this way on purpose?

PerthSurfer
1 Copper

I just had a firmware update shutdown all my apps and work I had open and reboot my computer while I was talking with a client.

As the other commenters say, Windows 10 Home doesn't give you access to group policy or allow you to control your updates.  Until I can find a proper solution, I've disabled the updates service to ensure it won't happen again and just manually turn it back on when I want to check for updates.  

It seems a very backwards step if there isn't an option somewhere to easily customise this to take back control to suit my working environment.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
beamermt79
4 Germanium

You should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.  From there you can postpone updates a short time.

PerthSurfer
1 Copper

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to Windows 10 and my Dell laptop is new, so I'm wondering if the automatic reboot was done via a Windows update or via the Dell updater?  I walked in during the middle of it and it said updating firmware.

0 Kudos
Hyphaistus
1 Copper

RE: Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anni

Even when I specify working hours, the laptop restarts while I am working without giving any notice. 
I heard that this is a common windows 10 home problem and from Microsoft support they told me that I can only activate the restart option which does not work, if I upgrade to Windows 10 professional.
This is not true, as even in the professional version of Windows 10 which I have in my other laptop, this option also is inactive, but the computer does not restart without notice. This problem appeared after the last update of windows 10 home.
Seems that this is a common problem not dealt sufficiently by Microsoft. Could it be a Dell update problem, instead?

0 Kudos