Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 14:00

Latitude E7470, Windows 10, Cannot open files off of USB

I have a brand new latitude e7470, and I attempted to move several files over to my new laptop this morning via USB (Windows 10).  My laptop recognizes the USB, but I can't open any of the files on the USB drive.  I keep getting errors that say I don't have permission.  Eventually a Google search turned up something about changing the USD drive letter.  I did that, and it worked, but I have to keep changing the drive letter.  For example, I changed the letter from D: to F: but then restarted the machine and was back to the same problem.  Then I would have to change it from F to M.  Furthermore, I noticed that after the restart, when I would first go back to the USB drive and attempt to open file, say a JPEG, the actual JPEG would open and flash up for about a second, but then it would flash the 'don't have permissions error again'.  Any idea how to fix this?  

• 

16.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 08:00

QUEENSLANDDINGO

You can click the link below for information changing the permissions.

How to Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10

March 23rd, 2017 09:00

This did not work.  Take Ownership shows up in the menu, but applying it to the folders on the USB drive does not get access to the files.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 10:00

In case it might be involved, Win 10 does not like flash drives larger than 32 GB formatted as FAT32.  If the drive was already formatted that way, it might not matter.

Have you been unable to network the two systems?

• 

16.7K Posts

QUEENSLANDDINGO,

What was the computer model you used to create the files on the usb key and what OS was installed on the computer you created these files on your usb key? What file system did you format the usb key with, ex. Fat, Fat32, NTFS etc.

Can you access the file on another computer? 

One machine is a Latitude E7440 with Windows 7.  The other is a Latitude E7470 with WIndows 10. The USB works find on the first machine, and not on the second.  On the second machine, the USB comes across in FAT.

March 23rd, 2017 11:00

I have tried this with several different USBs ranging from 256MB to 20 G and still have the same issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Win 10 is very picky about security and I have seen several flash drives where it shows a message that the drive needs to be formatted, even though the drive works fine.

When you set up the new system, did you use a Microsoft Account or a Local Account?

Were the files encrypted in any way on the prior system?

What folder are you attempting to transfer the files to?

Any chance a virus is involved and trying to piggyback onto the new system?

Microsoft account.  I have also tried setting it up with a different account and get the same result.

The files were not encrypted.  

I am trying to transfer to MyDocuments, but I never get that far.  

Don't think a virus is involved.  I've also done a number of system scans (F12 when booting up to check the hard drive).

March 23rd, 2017 14:00

With regards to being logged on as an administrator, when I go to User Account, I see my name, email and it labels the account as Administrator, but if I select the option for Changing the account type, it takes me to a screen with a radio button for Standard and Administrator.  When I try to change to administrator, the change button is grayed out.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 15:00

You are already an administrator.. Do not change it to Standard.. you will lose the ability to change it back.

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

I don't think I was clear....At first, it seemed like I was an administrator.  The summary information in User Accounts listed me as an administrator, but if I go to Change, the radio button was set to Standard, not administrator.  That didn't make sense to me.  When I tried to change the radio button from Standard to Administrator, I couldn't.  Well, I could change the radio button, but then the Sumbit/Change button was grayed out.  It makes it very unclear as to whether I am actually an administrator or not.  That's why I posted this.  I can't tell.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 17:00

You were clear.  The listing under your user picture will show your current status and the type of account.

If a button is labeled it normally does what it shows.  In Win 10 there is the User/Administrator as the primary account.  There is a real Administrator option but you don't use that unless some bad things are going on.  I have to believe there is something related to your files causing the problem.  You might try creating a simple text file and see if you can copy it over..  Also try putting it in another location, like downloads or the desktop.

No Events found!