QueenslandDingo
2 Bronze

Latitude E7470, Windows 10, Cannot open files off of USB

I have a brand new latitude e7470, and I attempted to move several files over to my new laptop this morning via USB (Windows 10).  My laptop recognizes the USB, but I can't open any of the files on the USB drive.  I keep getting errors that say I don't have permission.  Eventually a Google search turned up something about changing the USD drive letter.  I did that, and it worked, but I have to keep changing the drive letter.  For example, I changed the letter from D: to F: but then restarted the machine and was back to the same problem.  Then I would have to change it from F to M.  Furthermore, I noticed that after the restart, when I would first go back to the USB drive and attempt to open file, say a JPEG, the actual JPEG would open and flash up for about a second, but then it would flash the 'don't have permissions error again'.  Any idea how to fix this?  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Latitude E7470, Windows 10, Cannot open files off of USB

QUEENSLANDDINGO

You can click the link below for information changing the permissions.

How to Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10

0 Kudos
QueenslandDingo
2 Bronze

This did not work.  Take Ownership shows up in the menu, but applying it to the folders on the USB drive does not get access to the files.

0 Kudos
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

QUEENSLANDDINGO,

What was the computer model you used to create the files on the usb key and what OS was installed on the computer you created these files on your usb key? What file system did you format the usb key with, ex. Fat, Fat32, NTFS etc.

Can you access the file on another computer? 

0 Kudos
QueenslandDingo
2 Bronze

One machine is a Latitude E7440 with Windows 7.  The other is a Latitude E7470 with WIndows 10. The USB works find on the first machine, and not on the second.  On the second machine, the USB comes across in FAT.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

In case it might be involved, Win 10 does not like flash drives larger than 32 GB formatted as FAT32.  If the drive was already formatted that way, it might not matter.

Have you been unable to network the two systems?

2 Bronze

I have tried this with several different USBs ranging from 256MB to 20 G and still have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
5 Rhenium

Win 10 is very picky about security and I have seen several flash drives where it shows a message that the drive needs to be formatted, even though the drive works fine.

When you set up the new system, did you use a Microsoft Account or a Local Account?

Were the files encrypted in any way on the prior system?

What folder are you attempting to transfer the files to?

Any chance a virus is involved and trying to piggyback onto the new system?

2 Bronze

Microsoft account.  I have also tried setting it up with a different account and get the same result.

The files were not encrypted.  

I am trying to transfer to MyDocuments, but I never get that far.  

Don't think a virus is involved.  I've also done a number of system scans (F12 when booting up to check the hard drive).

0 Kudos
QueenslandDingo
2 Bronze

With regards to being logged on as an administrator, when I go to User Account, I see my name, email and it labels the account as Administrator, but if I select the option for Changing the account type, it takes me to a screen with a radio button for Standard and Administrator.  When I try to change to administrator, the change button is grayed out.  

0 Kudos