Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2015 10:00

Mcafee fro m My Dell Download

I just upgraded to the latest Windows build as of Dec. 2015 and proceeded to My Dell Downloads to re-install Mcafee. Unfortunately it wont re-install anymore as it says it's not sort of compatible with my new Windows version. Can we expect this to be fixed anytime soon?

2.3K Posts

December 8th, 2015 12:00

I haven't used Dell's Download stuff in a long time but when I did the software that was in it was the original software that was placed on my computer when I bought it and is not automatically upgraded.  If you went from Windows 8.x to Windows 10, you will need to download the newest Mcafee Software from the Mcafee website.  If i remember correctly, when you started using the Mcafee software you were asked to set up a user account and login information?  If so and you still have an active subscription, you can go to their website, log in, and download the latest version that is compatible with Windows 10. 

December 8th, 2015 18:00

As Beamermt79 said, the McAfee site will have a page for you - if you registered - that knows which version came with your computer & to which you are entitled. I saw mine there...

http://home.mcafee.com/Affiliates/Default.aspx?rfhs=1

But I guess they'll have something no matter what. The Dell Drivers & Downloads site, OTOH, at least for this Inspiron 3542, does not offer McAfee as a download. It did have many updated drivers & other downloads for me.

Though McAfee seemed to survive my upgrade to Win 10 & was still running, I discovered it no longer was updating its definitions. Poking around its user group, I saw others had unsolved problems too. I uninstalled it & ran its cleanup program, which let Windows Defender automatically turn on. Defender updates itself often & runs on a schedule. I suppose MS knows which viruses to include in the definition updates. It was impressive in capturing everything at...

http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

Eicar virus test files

...on the way in & produced eminently useful reports at its History tab. (Some junk made it to my download folder, which I suppose was what remained of some Eicar downloads after the virus was removed.)

If still queasy about dispensing with McAfee, take a second, free virus scanner (such as MalwareBytes) to occasionally update & run on your own. But do not activate its Real-Time scanner; that would shut Defender off again. Nevertheless, take a vow to pay off MalwareBytes (or whoever) should it ever capture something Defender missed.

14 Posts

December 15th, 2015 10:00

I remember not having to register,  that is why I didn't have an account at their site,  when I first opened Mcafee when still on Win 8.1. But was working  well then. Thanks anyway sir.

December 15th, 2015 15:00

You are welcome. But, if you want it, go there anyway. I suggest you spend time at their forum at least to discover how to know whether McAfee is updating its definitions. IIRC, you need to look into the "about" box of one of its components.

Then, I'm sure they will accommodate you. And they'll know which version is right.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

It is better to skip McAfee and use the free Windows Defender that comes with windows 10. It runs automatically when you don't have another program and works well with Windows 10.

My Dell Downloads has only the programs that came on the computer when it was new.  Dell does not supply updated versions. You have to buy those yourself if your McAfee subscription has expired. That is true even if you didn't upgrade to 10. Once the subscription expires you have to pay to renew it.

No Events found!