2 Bronze

Need Windows 10 driver for Inspiron 14z webcam

Inspiron 14Z, N411Z with Creative Webcam 2.0x (think it’s 2.0.36.0)

Microsoft’s upgrade precheck for Windows 10 didn’t spot any compatibility problems. Jeez. I’ve managed to fix all the issues except for the Webcam. Windows 10 doesn’t detect it and I haven’t found a driver that will install in Windows 10 (even under compatibility modes). The webcam was working prior to the update.

Anyone know of a driver that works? Dell doesn't believe in supporting 3 yr old laptops.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Need Windows 10 driver for Inspiron 14z webcam

There are no Windows 10 WebCam drivers available for download. The WebCam uses the native Windows 10 drivers imbedded in the OS. You could try going into device manager and click imaging devices. If the integrated webcam is there you can right click and choose to update driver to see if that will resolve the webcam issue.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thanks for your reply Jesse, but I tried manually adding the webcam with the old driver and updating. It neither recognized the hardware or offered a driver update.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ferberbutt,

Is there an Exclamation mark on the webcam in device manager? If not, download Skype to see if it the webcam will work with it. If there is an exclamation mark then it does need the driver.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hi Jesse,

Yes, there is an exclamation point in device manager. The old driver doesn't detect a webcam.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

PS, here is the response received from my inquiry to Creative Labs:

"Please note that if your Creative product came pre-installed or bundled with your computer system, it is likely that you have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) product. OEM products are often customized for PC manufacturer, therefore your supplier or vendor are your primary contacts for technical support for hardware, drivers and other technical issues."

So, if Dell won't support Windows 10 in a 3 yr old laptop, I'm screwed. I certainly hope Dell with rethink their policy. This computer is far from the end of its' useful life.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Is there really no solution available other than replacing our laptops?

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Nope...............unless it has been less than a month after installing Windows 10 and your still able to uninstall it and go back to Windows 7. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the webcam problem until well after that period expired.  What really ticks me off is that the pre-upgrade check indicated that my computer was 100% compatible. Dell's refusal to support my 3 yr old computer over this issue has ended my 20 yr old loyalty to the brand. I will never recommend Dell again.

0 Kudos