Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 1st, 2016 11:00

New Dell XPS 15 9550 - can't get rid of ONE white square/checkbox on the Desktop (even if I turn off checkboxes)

On the desktop, I have a white square that doesn't appear anywhere else but on the desktop - it's as if an icon I uninstalled from the desktop left behind its checkbox. 

It stays even if I go into Folder Option and uncheck "use checkboxes to select items."

It also stays even when I right click on the desktop and uncheck "view desktop icons." All the icons disappear but the white checkbox stays.

I can't click inside it as if to select it, or drag it - it's "dead".

I've also tried changing resolutions and then going back, refreshing the display, restarting, etc.

This white square doesn't appear anywhere else but on the desktop.

Can you give some ideas I haven't thought of to see how I can correct the issue? Or setting I might have set that may be causing this that I don't realize are related?

Thanks!

23 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 06:00

Thanks, Jesse.

Late last night my PC was running updates.

When I woke up this morning, after the install, BAM - the white square is gone.

When I looked at the updates in my history the only one I show for last night/today 9/2 is:

Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189031).

Before that - on 8/31 is Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176938).

It doesn't seem like the Adobe Flash Player would have anything to do with that - but could it?

Or is it possible that even though the Windows 10 update shows installed on 8/31 but maybe that was just the date it was downloaded?

Regardless, thank you very much for your suggestions - I had not thought of going into Task Manager and seeing if anything stood out, and definitely didn't think of disabling and reenabling the graphics card - I will add that to my "toolbox" in case of any issues like that for next time.

GN

• 

16.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 06:00

GNITO,

Try opening up task manager and see what process are there that you can end task on. You can also try the steps below.. 

Go to:

+ Device Manager

+ Display adapters

Right click on your graphic card and "Disable" it, Then "Enable" it

No Events found!