Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

No dual monitor capability after upgrade to W10

I have an older Optiplex 745,I upgraded it about three months ago to Windows 10 and now I cannot detect the dual monitors I've used for a few years.  They are Samsung 2232BWPLUS.  I cannot find a new driver on Samsung websites to upgrade, and right now I'm only using a basic video driver.  Any suggestions?

2.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 14:00

Hello!  so your computer was never tested and approved for Windows 10.  While many older machines can upgrade to Windows 10 with little to no problem, without appropriate drivers that are compatible you may run into issues.  That aside, my first thought would be to try and upgrade the graphics card driver.  What graphics card do you use?  If its Nvidia, go to www.nvidia.com, or AMD/ATI http://www.amd.com/and download the latest drivers from there.  Intel drivers are a bit more difficult but you can go to intel.com for theirs as well.  

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 15:00

I have the same problem. I have no idea how to fix it.

2.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 17:00

Hello!  For some reason my post hasn't posted yet so I'll try and repeat it.  You will have to update the graphics drivers, either from AMD, Nvidia, or Intel depending on what you are running. Your computer was never tested to run Windows 10 by Dell so there is the possibility that while you can run Windows 10, the generic drivers installed only allow for reduced functionality.  If that is the case and you cannot find any newer windows 10 drivers from the above mentioned companies, then you may be stuck with said reduced functionality.  

37 Posts

May 24th, 2016 08:00

If no WIndows 10 drivers exist or Windows 10 is not supported for your video card, you MIGHT have success loading the driver from an earlier version of Windows.

BTW, I don't think that you should have to load a driver for your monitor(s), which is what your original post seems to be saying.

I had an older Dell Inspiron, not supported by Dell for Windows 10, and was successful in loading video driver for an earlier version of Windows. It replaced the generic/basic video driver Windows 10 default, works well, improved resolution, and restored some missing functionality.

Be careful--I would suggest you do some Internet searching first about your Dell model/video card/WIndows 10 to see what success or failure others have had. There are many success stories in upgrading to Windows 10 on "unsupported" hardware using selective earlier driver versions--but also some failures. You may have to uninstall/recover if doesn't work. Worth investigating.

Good luck.

No Events found!