Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2016 02:00

Optiplex 3040 micro, Windows 10, strange BSOD, beeping noise?

Recently our secretary informed me that in the past 2-3 months she had a strange occurrence twice:

The 3040 micro (running windows 10) was locked and making a beeping sound (she couldn't describe the pattern, but must had been very noisy since she mistook it with an alarm going off)

On the monitor there was a blue (not 100% sure about the color) screen, with a big computer icon in the center, no description or text whatsoever, no windows taskbar or anything. Underneath this central icon, was a smaller one with a speaker icon that you could click on (from what she explained the mouse was working) muting the beeping sound.

The only escape route was the power button of the computer.

At first I thought it must have been the new Windows 10 BSOD. When I googled it though, I couldn't find any similar incident, the BSOD appears different from her description too. I checked the event log, but there was nothing critical or error that I couldn't account for. It has Kaspersky internet security installed and it's up to date so I doubt it's some virus/malware; Plus the computer is new (4-5 months).

Now I'm wondering if it was indicative of hardware failure or power surge. I asked her to take a photo next time she sees it, but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.  - I've seen computers coming up with a screen from the MoBo informing me that the computer was locked in order to avoid damage from a power surge that just happened. But never seen one with a mouse cursor and no text at all!

Anybody with a dell having come across anything similar? any idea what that might?

• 

16.7K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 08:00

F_Kal,

The only lock that I have seen is with the monitor., I cannot verify without more information. 

17 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hey @DELL-Jesse L! Thanks for replying! Could you explain a bit what you mean by "the only lock that I have seen is with the monitor"? - Does it mean that you've come across such a BSOD screen that has a "computer monitor" as an icon?

I've actually asked the secretary to take a snapshot with her phone next time this happens, so I'll be definitely doing a follow-up if/when this happens, but for the time being I only have her verbal description - and was wondering if it was a BIOS screen, a windows 10 screen, or something entirely unrelated!

• 

16.7K Posts

October 4th, 2016 05:00

F_Kal,

It is not a BSOD it is that the monitor can sometimes lock and will show a padlock on the screen. Depending on the Dell monitor it is easily to unlock.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 4th, 2016 07:00

F_Kal, 

Yes, it would just be the monitor lock and not the computer. 

17 Posts

October 4th, 2016 07:00

aha, thank you @DELL-Jesse L - I see what you mean; good to know!

I suppose this is unrelated to mine since I don't have a dell monitor (let alone that in my case there is also an intrusive beeping until you mute it or reboot)

January 24th, 2023 08:00

I know you have the issue fixed, but in one of my lessons (yes i go to school) seemed to be an optiplex 3040 with very weird beeps, sometimes the beeps would rise, stop and do a beep every 300 milliseconds until turned off. its actually not such a big issue, but here, I guess

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 25th, 2023 02:00

how can i watch pinoy lambingan tv on pc. i use window 10 on pc. i think here;s a bug on window 10.

No Events found!