Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2015 15:00

Optiplex 380 Desktop - When will it be compatible with Windows 10

I recently discovered that the Optiplex 380 has not been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.  I discovered this after I did the FREE upgrade.  My screen flickered constantly and the computer was basically worthless.  I found a way (on an HP forum) to go back to the previous version and spent 2 hours on hold with Microsoft before learning that I must need a updated display driver.  That was when we discovered there was no updated display driver and that in fact the Optiplex 380 (and the Latitude 5220) has not been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.

My question is - When will the Optiplex 380 (and the Latitude 5220) be compatible with Windows 10.  I really want to take advantage of the FREE upgrade offer, so I need help making this happen.  I was very unhappy to discover that neither of my DELL computers has been tested for compatibility.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

The driver should likely be inbuilt to Windows 10 or automatically obtained via Windows Update.

Sorry, I don't understand your reply.  Microsoft said I needed an updated display driver for my Optiplex 380 desktop which flickered uncontrollably after the Windows 10 install.  The driver should come from Dell, not Microsoft.  I seem to be getting a run around apparently from these two major players.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 5th, 2015 00:00

That's a Late 2009 system and hence years past Dell's warranty period. Dell will not provide system drivers for it.

The buggy Get Windows 10 App will state there is no display driver but Windows 10 will get one directly from Windows Update particularly if its the onboard Intel Video. See here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/three-of-my-computers-now-say-win10-is/9bddbb15-4a03-4a7a-a4ed-5e44361f5606

No Events found!