v170626
1 Nickel

Optiplex 5050 + NVMe PCI SSD + trying to clean-install 1703 win10 = "missing driver"

I've replaced HDD with NVMe PCI SSD, and was able to successfully install and run Windows 10 using Dell-provided installation media image.

However, the image is a bit old: mid-2016 Windows installer, plus AU update included separately, then the installed OS updates itself to CU 1703 version.

Not sure for what gain of performance I was hoping, but I decided to try to clean-install the
latest 1703 image downloaded directly from Microsoft. Installer can't see the SSD and asks for a driver -- the situation described on numerios web pages I've read since. The Intel Rapid Storage drivers -- (1) latest from Intel or (2) from Dell support page or (3) older version from Dell Windows installation image -- were all rejected. I.e. installer says there's no appropriate driver in all these locations.

I flashed the latest BIOS. Tried AHCI and Raid settings. Other settings are UEFI Boot, Secure Boot and no Legacy ROM -- that's the way I want them. And besides they are OK for Dell installation image. The SSD is clean i.e. no partitions.

So, is there any hope to clean-install 1703 version? Or do I have to run install and update, again, from Dell image?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
v170626
1 Nickel

RE: Optiplex 5050 + NVMe PCI SSD + trying to clean-install 1703 win10 = "missing driver"

Problem solved.

Had installer on one USB stick, and drivers folder on separate USB stick, inserted into 2nd USB port. Installer allowed to browse to folder and select it, but later failed with vague "No new drivers found."

Instead, all I had to do was to place drivers folder onto same USB stick as installer, and when asked to browse for drivers, to remove, re-insert it, and then browse. After that installation goes smoothly and completes in a couple of minutes. 🙂

0 Kudos