jaimegu
1 Copper

Precision M4800 Win10 clean install

I'm working on a M4800 where they have replaced the HD and installed Win10 Pro but not activated.

I don't know the full history of it. I know it was delivered by Dell with Win 8.1 Pro 64bits (it has the Pro Windows 8 label).

I have reinstalled using Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro for workstations, nothing picks the original license.

I have tried  RWEverything (although it's blacklisted due to the rootkit discovered in 2018), and it doesn't pick the MSDM in the ACPI tables  (and obviously, it doesn't have a CoA sticker).

Question is:  Doing a clean install in Win8.1 Pro and upgrade to Win 10 Pro will fix the issue (recovering the OEM license)?

Are there alternative methods I'm overlooking?

2 Replies
Highlighted
jaimegu
1 Copper

Re: Precision M4800 Win10 clean install

Not needed anymore, the solution was to buy a new retail license. I ended up spending more time and effort than buying a new license.

For the record:  I didn't try clean install of win 8.1 pro because: 1.  Supposedly it was only required in very early versions of Win10. 2. I tried with 2 variants and both requested the license.

I'm not sure I have a corner case, but it would be interesting to know if Precision M4800 fall into the void: no CoA and no MSDM

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Precision M4800 Win10 clean install

You cannot use OEM SLP 2.0 key for Windows VISTA or 7 with windows 10.

You CAN USE OEM COA Key from the sticker under the battery to activate WIN10 Home or PRO.  This key is located inside the battery compartment.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-m4800-workstation_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

WIN8 and WIN10 machines will have NO COA they will have the WINDOWS GENUINE label and the SLP 3.0 key in bios and will activate automatically.

OEM System Builder Disks work fine on all Dells from 2006 to today.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-i...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro