Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2015 16:00

Product key issue

I have a Dell all in one 2330 2 years old and the hard drive crashed. I replaced the hard drive and tried to upgrade/install windows 10 but its asking for a product key to activate. Not sure if i need the win 8 key (that's on my desktop or from the new win 10 thst im loading via usb

I called Dell and they said since it is out of warranty they couldnt help me and they do not have the keys (it's imbedded on the computers motherboard). So I own a nice desktop with no recovery disk, new hard drive with no product  key so not sure what steps I need to take. Dell said I had to buy a new op system but doesn't seem right I just paid off the desktop a few months ago. On their site it says that the Dell customer will not have a need for the key but seems like I do. I would reinstall the home 8.0 then upgrade to 10 but do not have it since it came on my desktop and unfortunately I didn't create a disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Beagzilla

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 29th, 2015 01:00

You are better to install Windows 10 TH2 (Insider Preview/Prerelease Beta) it will automatically input and accept your Windows 8 UEFI BIOS Embedded SLP key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-technical-preview-iso/

TH2 should be released on the maintrack soon.

2 Posts

October 29th, 2015 15:00

Thank you for the response it's really appreciated. Just so I understand I should download the win 10 on a thumbdrive  and reinstall via usb is that correct? Sorry this is my first reinstall and I'm a rookie.

Thx

Beagzilla

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 30th, 2015 18:00

Yes follow through the instructions I give in the link I gave it will will tell you where to download the TH2 Insider .iso and how to make a bootable USB and how to install.

When TH2 reaches the maintrack I will make a tutorial video.

No Events found!