Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2016 10:00

Purple Dell OEM Windows 10 Pro 64 bit disc, can't clean install?

Long story short I had a disc come with a new system that I purchased recently. I removed the original drive and installed a black Samsung SSD drive and figures since the PC came with the Dell OEM Windows 10 disc I could install it directly from there instead of installing Window 7, then upgrading to 10 using the media creation tool. My problem was that the setup would not start. I forget the exact error but it said something along the lines of missing partition required for install

I've never had that problem with previous Windows version. Shouldn't I be able to clean install directly from the disc?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2020 17:00

Newer systems don't allow legacy boot.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln309720/newer-dell-systems-unable-to-boot-to-internal-boot-device-in-legacy-boot-mode?lang=en

Secure Boot should be OFF and AHCI for sata operation should be chosen if you do not know how to use F6 mass storage Drivers for Pre install.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln302609/how-to-install-the-storage-controller-f6-driver-during-the-windows-installation-setup-process?lang=en

The OEM system DVD's I keep mentioning have setup and everything to install on ANY Dell.  I got one of those "Dell" disks its absolutely useless.  Its not bootable and only works when you have the old DBAR recovery partition.  Doesn't work with current models or a blank hard drive.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update (UPDATE NOW)
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Create Windows 10 2004 USB2 installation media
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Windows 10 2004 has the I don't have a key install option is only needed for legacy dells.  Newer models that had 8.0 or later will have key in bios.

I believe that the USB2 drives will be unavailable ever again once the last stock is gone.

SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-B35)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001XURP8Q/

There is ZERO difference between HOME BLUE DISK and PRO PURPLE DVD for the OEM system builder disks.  Either will install home or pro based on key Used aka COA key for WIN7 Home/PRO or Bios Key.

I have all the types of media including the retail Microsoft flash drive.   If you can get a resource DVD thats great but if not the enterprise CAB file collection works fine.

You just need 7zip and to know what chipset , audio, storage, video is in your dell.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

You can also make your own media but the OEM disks dont go bad like burned dual layer dvds or flash drives do.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

The other thing I now also recommend is offline clone device.

https://www.orico.me/product/orico-3-5-2-5inch-2-bay-transparent-usb3-0-hard-drive-dock-with-offline-clone-function-6239u3-c/

Should be used BEFORE the drive starts to die and can be used to recover data.

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Docking-Station-External-Enclosure/dp/B07SSWFDMN/

The Microsoft flash drives for 1803 and earlier work for install of 32 bit or 64 bit HOME or PRO windows 10.  I'm not guessing what works or not. I'm telling you what works on ALL DELL MODELS that support windows 10.

The USB2 optical drive is required for older Dells.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

This is your final warning.  Last call. Once these disks are gone there will be no more.  Microsoft canceled the Refurbisher program.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

I'm done beating the dead horse.

If you don't want to do this fine but later you will be unable to due to them being literally gone forever.

March 3rd, 2016 13:00

Very similar to issue I ran into possibly.

It is not as simple as it used to be because of the new UEFI BIOS.

Here is what I got from Dell...

How to Install Windows 10 from a Dell Windows 10 DVD

Look in BIOS , if shipped with W7 it is most likely in Legacy mode

1. Boot from the DVD (F12 Menu) (Legacy Option > DVD)

Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

2. Choose English

3. Choose US

4. Choose Troubleshoot

5. Choose Advanced

6. Choose Command prompt

7. In the Command Prompt Window, enter the Command: "diskpart" > Enter

8. Next Command: "list disk"

9. Then: "select disk 0" (0 being the hard drive where the OS should be installed if there are multiple drives)

10. Type "clean"

11. Type "convert GPT"

12. Type "exit" (2 times)

13. Power down the System

14. Restart the system tapping F12 for the BIOS

15. Change the Boot List Option from Legacy to UEFI with Legacy Option ROMS "Enabled"

16. Navigate to Exit and "Exit Saving Changes"

17. Reboot F12

18. Choose UEFI DVD boot option

19. Dell Screen

20. Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

21. Choose English

22. Choose US

23. Choose Troubleshoot

24. Choose Recover from a drive

25. Choose either "Just remove my files" or "Fully clean drive "

26. Dell screen - will show recovering this PC XX%

27. Reboots to W10 when finished

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2016 06:00

Wow thanks for the details. I'll have to give that a shot when I get another new PC in my hands. Just last night I though of a workaround and used the Windows 10 media creation tool and made a bootable USB but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. That may work too

1 Message

December 14th, 2016 07:00

Seriously, why is an up grade so complicated?  Seems issues are with all products whether its workstations, servers , laptops or sonicwalls.

January 24th, 2017 11:00

Hey Microfiche,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this, it was very helpful.  You would think the "reset my computer" would be the correct course of action but as you probably know that just sends you into "unable to find partition" ***.  

2 Posts

April 8th, 2017 22:00

THANK YOU, MICROFICHE!!!

I spent about a week trying to figure this out. I even engaged Dell Support, who didn't know about this & didn't get me too far in my installation efforts.

I finally found this thread when searchign on "Dell VM3V3" in Google.

I just got a Precision 7510 workstation laptop. It had Win 7 Pro on it. I figured I'd wipe it clean & install Win 10 Pro on it before setting it up & installing all my software. I have an external USB optical drive & the computer came with the purple VM3V3 disc: "Dell. Operating System. Already installed on your computer. Windows 10 Pro. 64-bit. Use this disc only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer. This disc is not for the reinstallation of programs or drivers..."

I kept using the Reset menu selection & always ended up with "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." Except for the 1 time I instead got "There was a problem resetting your PC." No more helpful a message than the other was. I tried all sorts of cleans, formats, disk partition utilities, you name it. I learned so much about the Diskpart program this past week!

The magic steps in your instructions seem to be #11 & #24. I never saw "convert GPT" in the dozen or so other guides I found online, & "Recover from a drive" didn't seem like the correct selection because I had removed the *recovery* partition from the SSD & wasn't really *recovering* my OS so much as installing a brand new different one...

After following these steps, I had to get the Wi-Fi driver from Dell & install that manually, then the rest of the Device Manager issues went smoothly. Windows 10 is still doing a few giant updates, as expected from using an oldish installation disc, but all is progressing properly.

*[I added a few comments to your instructions in brackets below.]

1. Boot from the DVD (F12 Menu) (Legacy Option > DVD)

Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

2. Choose English

3. Choose US

4. Choose Troubleshoot

5. Choose Advanced

6. Choose Command prompt

7. In the Command Prompt Window, enter the Command: "diskpart" > Enter

8. Next Command: "list disk"

9. Then: "select disk 0" (0 being the hard drive where the OS should be installed if there are multiple drives)

*10. Type "clean"  [I chose "clean all" here to completely wipe the hard drive, for added security, as I bought my machine new from an eBay seller instead of from an established store.]

11. Type "convert GPT"

12. Type "exit" (2 times)

13. Power down the System

*14. Restart the system tapping F12 for the BIOS [Note that BIOS is accessed via F2, not F12, on my 7510. F12 brings up a one-time-only boot menu.]

15. Change the Boot List Option from Legacy to UEFI with Legacy Option ROMS "Enabled"

16. Navigate to Exit and "Exit Saving Changes"

17. Reboot F12

*18. Choose UEFI DVD boot option [Note that this was a lengthy alphanumeric gobbledygook entry in my UEFI menu, named after my external optical drive.]

19. Dell Screen

20. Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

21. Choose English

22. Choose US

23. Choose Troubleshoot

24. Choose Recover from a drive

25. Choose either "Just remove my files" or "Fully clean drive "

26. Dell screen - will show recovering this PC XX%

27. Reboots to W10 when finished

*28. [Expect to do lots of Windows updates after getting internet connectivity!]

Thanks,

-Jason

1 Message

April 10th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for posting these steps. I had been working on this for some time when I stumbled across your posting. Every step was accurate and this solution worked like a charm. Thank you!

1 Message

June 30th, 2017 07:00

Seriously thank you. Got me out a bind also.

2 Posts

September 15th, 2017 11:00

My first ever post on Dell support forums.

Microfiche, I'm just here to thank you for a solution that finally works! :D

1 Message

October 2nd, 2017 11:00

Microfiche, you rock! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

1 Message

October 18th, 2017 19:00

I tried all the steps listed, and it restores to about 80% then just give me an error "there was a problem with the recover" then when i try again it can't find any drives

This problem is ridiculous and dell needs to sort itself out

1 Message

December 15th, 2017 14:00

Two hours on the Dell support phone call; between *** technician headsets worn by the people who speak English as a second language, there was little to no help.  Finally got over to David in software support helped me identify how to proceed.  The problem was in the boot list option from Legacy to UEFI.  once this was corrected through the F12 startup there were no problems with restart.

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 20:00

Can this DVD been used for third party PC ? I had my previous Dell elite desk with the motherboard got fryed.. I just purchase a new board, and intended to use this CD to install back win10.. is it applicable ?

1 Message

May 2nd, 2018 02:00

Thanks for the detailed how to.

I was searching for some time, I guessed it must be possible to restore Windows 10 with an install disk, but failed several times until I found this post.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 19:00

@Didgestevewrote:

Thanks for the detailed how to.

I was searching for some time, I guessed it must be possible to restore Windows 10 with an install disk, but failed several times until I found this post.

There is no point in using the Dell install DVD which is several versions of Windows 10 behind 1803 unless you enjoy waiting for each Windows 10 updates to download and install. Depending on your internet speed this could take hours.

No Events found!