Highlighted
2 Bronze

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by  on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

144 Replies
Highlighted

there are 3 programs to uninstall with the rapid storage tech.

intel rapid storage

intel security assist

intel (cant remember exact name) computer management or something or other

Highlighted
3 Silver

Hi!

Yep, uninstalled those also. No problem, because it is automatically replaced by a certified Win 10 driver that DOES work. Incredible that no one at Dell (or any other manufacturer because it's not only Dell with this problem!) doesn't do anything about it. The Windows 10 drivers on the Dell downloadpages are botched. Is actually anyone from Dell reading this? I wonder how many laptops will get destroyed in the coming days and weeks... 😞

Greetings,

Ronald.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

thank you so much..

had this problem for about a week...

finally fixed it with your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi!

Same for me, uninstalled that 3 drivers and shutdown properly. Dell 3542 64bit OS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

The only sad thing was that last weekend I had to do a complete clean install again, because during searching for the cause and trying many solutions found all over internet some things got 'damaged' in Windows. I really didn't want to bother finding the causes again so yeah... The fun thing is that this last and (hopefully) final installation went like a charm. Installed Windows which recoignized lots of hardware by itself. Some onboard stuff wasn't detected yet. I installed then the Dell chipset drivers (and ONLY those), waited 5 minutes and after a system restart EVERYTHING was installed in matter of drivers. Including more exotic things as for example the SD-card reader (a Realtek PCI-connected thingie). No shutdown- or startup problems. I did switch off Fastboot though, because I don't have a very good experience with this anyway. But probably it isn't necessary to do so. Anyway, thanks everyone for putting me on the right track, hopefully my comments also helped a bit.

Cheers,

Ronald

Highlighted
3 Silver

The only problem I got from Windows 10 is that from now on I always put my ear on my laptop to hear if it is really REALLY switched off. Never thought about this fact before. Probably need psychotherapy to get rid of this. 😕

Highlighted

hehe, im a lil scared too.. i put my hand by the fan to see if its off. after a week or so, i dont do it as often. but still worry now and then..

gotta say i like win 10 tho. a minor bug where my touchpad icon doesnt load on the bottom in the tray, which means my 2 finger scrollling not gonna work. not every time but sometime, found it easiest to jsut click restart, coz as u know win 10 loads so fast. but i can live with that, coz it works better then it did b4 win 8.1..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

my computer was also keep the usb ports on thats why i was trying to solve the problem..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

get rid of Intel Management Engine Interface Driver and let windows update install it . its been few days now and mine is always shutting off

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Hi allaloun!

That those usb-ports keep being powered after shutdown is a feature not a bug. Some laptops have a charging-possibility for for example your smartphone or so. Don't even know if it can be completely switched off. Tried it ones since I connected a cooling plate for under my laptop which is now always running. But that was BEFORE installing Windows 10 the same. So I'd say 'enjoy' it...

Greetings,

Ronald.

0 Kudos