Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

August 6th, 2015 15:00

Same issue here...My computer keeps running even after shutdown. I'll put it in my briefcase as I go home and when I pull it out the fan is blowing at max, the computer is overheating and this is all while it's shutdown. Makes no sense. Even the battery drainage when this occurs is insane. It draws more power in this state then it does when I have it on High Performance power setting. How do we fix this? This can't be another defected mobo. I've already had mine replaced 3 times. I believe it's a conflict between bios and software somewhere. Dell what do we need to do to fix this?

12 Posts

August 6th, 2015 16:00

The newest update from Microsoft fixed my problem, go try it !

371 Posts

August 6th, 2015 16:00

i am also having that problem. Dell laptop 3542.. was thinking maybe it started after i upgraded the new dell drivers for windows 10. this morning i woke up, and the power light was red. never seen that before, but mean battery is dead. gonna contact support. i waited, becoz i had it in sleep mode off and on today, and didnt have any problem that i know of. but before dinner, i did a shut down and when i came back to it. had the same problem, it wouldnt turn on, so i did the - hold the power button down - for a count of ten. then it starts with a simple push of the button, and of course my battery had went down 10% after one  hour of being off. 

371 Posts

August 6th, 2015 17:00

i did the update this morning and still did it this afternoon, when i tested a shut down during dinner. mwaning had to hold the power button down for abt 10 seconds.. bummer

i was wondering, though. did u update all the new drivers from dell for windows 10..

u mentioned the new Intel Rapid storage thingy.. did u try uninstalling that? 

thx for ur help if u can..

371 Posts

August 6th, 2015 21:00

my problem was the Intel Rapid Technology stuff.

went to Services, shut it down, then disabled it from starting again. my problem seems to have been solved. ive shut down at least a dozen times tonight and no problem.

53 Posts

August 12th, 2015 20:00

Same here, but sometimes. Switched off fast boot which led to a huge improvement. Had many problems with installing Windows 10 on my Dell 15 7000 which is only half a year old. Had to do a clean install for 5 times and decided to stick with most Windows drivers. The network drivers offered by Dell are causing lots of trouble, as well as the Realtek Audio driver. In the end I only installed the chipset and SATA-drivers. I suspect it might have to do something with the NVIDIA drivers but I am not sure. In my case the problem appears mainly after working for some time with the system.

Whatever the reason: this is not safe. A not completely switched off laptop can overheat in a bag and cause real dangers and troubles, the least of which is a destroyed laptop. Is Dell aware of those shutdown problems and did someone find the cause? Will there be updated drivers? Power on and shutdown troubles on laptops always make me nervous...

Best regards,

Ronald.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2015 21:00

problem causing by the Intel Rapid Technology service. unistaling it solve the problem!

3 Posts

August 13th, 2015 21:00

the intel rapid storage technology is causing the issue! i have the same problem and unistaling that *** solve it! try it

17 Posts

August 14th, 2015 03:00

Same problem here tried everything possible but win10 will over heat the laptop in the bag. I should keep some eggs with it to cook lol. ok

so I have done 3 clean installs. tired all drivers still the same problem.

after some hours of work when you shutdown you do hear the hdd park itself but the off signal to the motherboard goes missing. now I am going to try the cutout techniques starting with removal of intel rst as mentioned by some guys here. I talked  to dell as it is in warranty but it seems they have no idea how to fix it. 

also the sd card driver s for win 10 of july31 2015 don't install anything . I had to download fresh from realtek's website.

Lets see how it goes...

Update1:--

Now laptop goes to sleep and does not come back on mains attached after removal of intel rapid storage.

Will post about complete shutdown results soon.

Update2:- uninstalled intel rst only and still the same.

going to remove intel security assist

UPDATE 3

above did not work

now removed  intel management engine interface and windows downloaded the drivers itself

the drivers it downloaded are of 2013 version 9.5.15.1730

lets see how it goes.

has any one tried win 8.1 drivers on this..........

Update 3 (resolved)

so the Intel management engine interface was removed and the problem was solved.

now I have put the Rst driver s back. Lets see if there is any problem...

(((((((((((so I have all the drivers given by dell for windows 10 minus the intel management engine interface and it works well.))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

This is on DELL 15 7537

371 Posts

August 14th, 2015 06:00

there are 3 programs to uninstall with the rapid storage tech.

intel rapid storage

intel security assist

intel (cant remember exact name) computer management or something or other

53 Posts

August 14th, 2015 07:00

Hi!

Yep, uninstalled those also. No problem, because it is automatically replaced by a certified Win 10 driver that DOES work. Incredible that no one at Dell (or any other manufacturer because it's not only Dell with this problem!) doesn't do anything about it. The Windows 10 drivers on the Dell downloadpages are botched. Is actually anyone from Dell reading this? I wonder how many laptops will get destroyed in the coming days and weeks... :-(

Greetings,

Ronald.

1 Message

August 15th, 2015 14:00

thank you so much..

had this problem for about a week...

finally fixed it with your help

6 Posts

August 18th, 2015 02:00

Hi!

Same for me, uninstalled that 3 drivers and shutdown properly. Dell 3542 64bit OS.

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 06:00

The only sad thing was that last weekend I had to do a complete clean install again, because during searching for the cause and trying many solutions found all over internet some things got 'damaged' in Windows. I really didn't want to bother finding the causes again so yeah... The fun thing is that this last and (hopefully) final installation went like a charm. Installed Windows which recoignized lots of hardware by itself. Some onboard stuff wasn't detected yet. I installed then the Dell chipset drivers (and ONLY those), waited 5 minutes and after a system restart EVERYTHING was installed in matter of drivers. Including more exotic things as for example the SD-card reader (a Realtek PCI-connected thingie). No shutdown- or startup problems. I did switch off Fastboot though, because I don't have a very good experience with this anyway. But probably it isn't necessary to do so. Anyway, thanks everyone for putting me on the right track, hopefully my comments also helped a bit.

Cheers,

Ronald

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 07:00

The only problem I got from Windows 10 is that from now on I always put my ear on my laptop to hear if it is really REALLY switched off. Never thought about this fact before. Probably need psychotherapy to get rid of this. :-/

No Events found!