Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

371 Posts

August 30th, 2015 12:00

i agree, dont make it more complicated.. thats why ive stuck with what i did and told others about uninstalling all 3 of those pesky problems. mine works like a champ now. if u spend much time in event viewer, it does cause a lil error. but dont matter. coz like u said they are not needed for the average person.

53 Posts

August 30th, 2015 13:00

And this error will only appear if you try to log remote systems or try to log a system without the Management drivers. Things that will really not happen very often (not at all, in 99% of the cases) at home. If you really really need remote management you have to check the Intel-versions with the latest bugfixes. I my opinion all those 'heavyweight' corporate drivers should not be installed on a laptop intentended for home use or one-man companies. Give them as an option, but not have them installed. Keep it plain and simple, good for stability and good for your nights' rest.

Greetings,

Ronald.

53 Posts

August 30th, 2015 13:00

For the rest it is really important to know that it is better NOT to install any of the Dell-drivers. The networkdrivers for example regularly disconnect (cable or wifi) but - worse - they are neither uninstallable nor upgradable. All attempts to do so lead to a timeout error or even a completely lost network chip/card. It was one of my first fights with Windows 10, even before the other troubles were discovered. The Dell sound driver also leads to shutdown-problems because it sometimes crashes badly during (or even before) logging off. The Free Fall sensor is not installable at all ('incompatible OS') and the Realtek Cardreader-driver is ancient and very often leads to installation errors. The one detected by Windows itself works like a charm. For now I really would leave out as much as possible, wait a couple of months until Dell (hopefully) produces newer drivers. And even then: if it ain't broken, don't fix it I'd say...

Greetings,

Ronald.

August 30th, 2015 20:00

Hope that problem is solved.

And v10x causing slow shutdown/reboots on some systems.

This problem only seen with DirectX 11 compatible display and v11.

29 Posts

September 1st, 2015 18:00

OMG thanks so much I was ready to revert back to 8.1  this fixed my shutdown an sleep mode on my 

Inspiron 15 7537

September 2nd, 2015 00:00

Please do give the details - what solved your problem.

thanx

371 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 06:00

for my machine i did need some of the dell drivers.. to get the touch pad in tray, or i lose my 2 finger scroll and stuff.. i did install all of them xcept the intel stuff, most of it anyway

53 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 07:00

I didn't install the touchpad-driver because I don't like this 'extra' functionality. It always starts working when I don't want it :emotion-1: Besides, I have a touchscreen so at least it has some use now...

Greetings,

Ronald.

371 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 09:00

ironically enough my touchpad works very good since i upgraded to win 10. it had a bug in win 8, it was the onscreen keyboard. and no matter what i did to settings and services to stop it. kept popping up and stopped the functionality of touch pad. 

29 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 18:00

i uninstalled Intel Rapid Technology .  Now my laptop goes to sleep and shuts-down.  Also wakes from sleep!  imagine that?  lol 

371 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 18:00

another satisfied customer... yipppeeeeeeeeee

i know how exciting it is, coz i had that problem for a cpl days.. a lil terrifying . 

29 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 14:00

oops what I deleted that I had an exclamation next to my USB 3.0 in the device manager.   But sleep and shutdown worked.   Hummmm what is the fix for this with my 

Inspiron 15 7537

September 17th, 2015 10:00

Ditto, uninstalling these programs from Control Panel seems to solved the same issue on my Ultrabook!

Thank you!

1 Message

September 29th, 2015 12:00

Dear Users,

Goto Power Options -> choose what closing lid does -> change settings that are currently unavailable and then un check Turn on fast startup and save changes.

This fix the issue for me. Thanks

Adnan

4 Posts

October 29th, 2015 00:00

How do I uninstall them? I can't, I've tried so hard but I can't uninstall intel rapid storage.

No Events found!