Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

371 Posts

October 29th, 2015 05:00

in control panel

uninstall program

4 Posts

October 29th, 2015 11:00

Nope, I tried to do that way and it didn't work. 

371 Posts

October 29th, 2015 15:00

are the programs even listed in control panel?

4 Posts

October 29th, 2015 18:00

Yes, they are listed. When I try to uninstall Windows send an error message anytime. The message says that I need to restart first. Then I restart the laptop and when I try again, the same message appears. I followed the steps I found on the forums uninstalling the drivers on the device manager, the result is the same.

I made it once, but the lap couldn't start windows so I had to restore.

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi to all!

The Intel Management Engine Interface is the source of all problems. But not that only. When you upgrade the graphic drivers (Intel and Nvidia) on the Inspiron 7537, then the BSOD VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR will appear. You can revert back to the Original Driver with the Windows 10 is shipped or first installed.

When anyone from Dell see this, then please check all your drivers before you certificate a laptop for Windows 10. It took me 3 days to fix this problems :( , and i use this notebook for my work.

Greetings from Hungary!

53 Posts

November 5th, 2015 14:00

Hi!

Yep, Windows 10 is a headache inducer. My experience with videodrivers - also on a 7537 - is that the original 'Windows'-drivers cause strange artifacts on the screen now and then. Think black squares, lines, dots etc. Not too often, but now and then. Worse is that the old Intel driver causes to crash Office-apps in certain specific circumstances, a problem known by MS. Their advice: update the old drivers. What seems to work for me is installing ONLY the 'Dell' Intel HD Graphics driver. Besides that: install as quickly as possible the latest NVIDIA-driver for you system. Either you got an upgrade-sign already (! in system bar over the NVIDIA-icon) or you simply download the latest driver from nvidia.com. The Dell-NVIDIA-driver did behave strange from the beginning on. Anyway, I got a stable system now with as extra bonus regular NVIDIA driver updates from the source itself.

Good luck!

Ronald.

53 Posts

November 16th, 2015 10:00

I AM FURIOUS!!!! After installing this obligated Windows Threshold update, all old problems start to appear again. Main problem is now a ethernetconnection that keeps dropping every time again. I lost important work because of this, I will not mention the details. I am boiling with frustration and anger. WHY WHY WHY???? Never again I will buy a Dell laptop., Why on earth can't you make decent, stable and working drivers for an OS that my laptop is supposed to support? One thing I know for sure: this system is - despite the fact it's 7 months old - NOT compatibel with Win 10. What a shame. Wasted money and lost work. WHY. I am FIGHTING since July 31, the biggest mistake in my life. What a disaster, what a failure.

371 Posts

November 16th, 2015 14:00

yeah, Microsoft forgot say, were rearranging ur computer. they said our file were all where we left them. but ur computer has been totally redone. and yeah all our files left alone, but restore points dont count as files. all the stuff on the web about that ugrade, and not one person said how drastic it was. it was more like a upgrade of a OS then a update. ive found nothin new besides a cpl of new apps that i wont use. 

i had to go back and reconfigure my system also, coz they replaced all my drivers. scared me at first, but was able to fix them without much trouble. didnt realize it till i closed the lid on my laptop, then it wouldnt come back on. knew i was in trouble then.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2015 05:00

Agree. But let's reconfigure dual screen settings, re-installing AV-software and updating some others call a 'nuisscance'. Vital functions should NEVER be affected without a users permission though. Probably I found the source of the troubles in matter of ethernet: for some weird reason since the update Energy Efficient Ethernet and Green Ethernet are both enabled. This is absolutely not something you want to be enabled on a laptop for sure, because it plays tricks by hugging the limits of the ethernet-specifications to save 5 minutes battery time. I switched it off, we'll see how it behaves now. Also I tried to install the drivers offered at www.realtek.com.tw/.../downloadsView.aspx;PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false, those seem to work also. However, I want to check if this green nonsense are the culprit so I reverted back to the standard Windows drivers just to see what happens.

Something strange also: why are all the network-related Windows 10 drivers removed from the Dell support pages?

Greetings,

Ronald.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2015 13:00

Hi!

Ok, I spent some time juggling with different versions of drivers and settings to find the source of the problem. In the meantime, the 'Dell'-networkdrivers appeared online again. So I had some options now:

- the initial automatic installed Windows-driver from April 2015

- the (semi)automatic Windows driver update on the former one dated May 2015

- the latest Realtek-driver released Oct 30, dated July 2015 after installing

- the Dell-Realtek driver, dated - after installing - May 2015

I suspected that both both May-versions (Windows and Dell) are the same, but as it turned out BOTH Windows-drivers kept disconnecting, ALSO with Energy Efficient & Green Ethernet disabled. Both the Realtek and Dell-Realtek drivers seem ok and stable (with Energy Efficient and Green disabled). So here, the auto-installed ethernet drivers are a no-go.

Another highly irritating feature I discovered is that the big Windows update (let's call it a service pack) defaulted many settings. Today I experienced a couple of times the dreaded boot crash, in which case only the Dell logo appears and nothing else. I remembered that from the end of July and then solved it by disabling Fast Boot. To my surprise, this was switched on again. After switching off, not only my Dell Inspiron booted faster(...) but also switched off much quicker. Problem here is still incompatibility with certain Dell-drivers, but I have no idea which ones exactly (probably all of them...). One question remains: WHY??? Why is neither Dell nor Microsoft able to arrange smooth running systems? Dell should have delivered updated drivers the moment they were available after the first Windows 10 service pack became available. Those drivers DO exist, check the Realtek site, but also at the Intel website there are much newer drivers for the GPU available. It took Dell about 3 months to have the first update for this driver anyway. Why...?

Greetings,

Ronald.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2015 14:00

*** UPDATE ***

Forget the Dell driver, it also disconnected suddenly after about 1,5 hour. Now the only option left is the driver from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2015 14:00

And then MS dares to say that after the great Autumn-Update Windows is ready for the enterprise. Yeah right.

Is there - by the way - ANYONE from Dell who can confirm those problems? There are many complaints (just do a google) on disconnecting ethernet, and many of these complaints are in relation to Dell laptops. What is going on here? Will there be a solution coming or is it time to throw my system in the garbage bin?

Greetings,

Ronald.

1 Message

November 18th, 2015 11:00

I have the same issue as everyone. My laptop won't shutdown completely. I've tried to uninstall those drivers mentioned in the first page but I can't even find them on control panel. What should I do? I don't want to go back to windows 8.1, but I think that's the only solution...

53 Posts

November 18th, 2015 13:00

Hi!

The sad thing is that at the moment you installed the Dell-drivers, there is often no way to remove them anymore. In my case they became 'locked', trying to remove resulted in an error. A clean install of Windows 10 is the only reliable solution. Let Windows install all the drivers. Safe to install are the latest (!) Intel video-driver, the Intel chipset drivers, Audio-drivers etc. Leave the networkdrivers also alone if everything is functioning ok. If ethernet disconnects regularly, then download and install the newest networkdrivers available for your network chip (see my former posts). So you don't have to go back to Win 8.1, but you must do a clean install of Win 10. In fact: if you install Win 8 now, one of the first things that will happen after downloading updates is an upgrade to 10. That is a scenario you want to avoid for sure.

Good luck!

Ronald.

1 Message

November 19th, 2015 00:00

I have same problem.....

No Events found!