Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 13:00

Dell Inspiron 7737 with factory installed Windows 8.1 but immediately upon receiving it, upgraded to Windows 10

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Dell still doesn’t have a clue to solving the problem of shut down.

I bought the laptop in late July, then waited for Win 10 to be released in August to upgrade to it.  The shut down problem didn’t occur until late September. Not wanting to take the time with Dell techs, I waited until November 3 to call.  From then until now, December 23, I have spent several hours a week in communication with them, either through phone calls, remote access, or emails.  Dell sent a service tech to my home three times, starting December 11:  1- to replace the motherboard, but the new one was defective.  2 - to install another new motherboard,  damaged the WiFi card in the process.  3 - replace damaged WiFi card, keyboard won’t seat properly. Nothing has worked.  Laptop still won’t shut down.  I’m done.  They want to return to replace palm rest and keyboard and I won’t let them. (I’m using a Logitech keyboard)

rockyanexpert, you said to downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.  What are the steps I need to take to do this, please?  Also, you said to go to advanced system settings and choose, No, let me choose (disable automatic driver updates)

But then ...

BoXyTar, you claim that IMEI has to be removed and let windows install v9.5 ... and then it won’t upgrade, nothing else needs to be done.  You also said to remove the WiFi drivers and let Win 10 install them.

Ronald, you wrote about making images, one with True Image 15, and one with the Windows image tool.  Right after Dell helped me upgrade to Windows 10, and after I had installed my basic programs, I made a recovery disk.  Perhaps I should now make an image?

To tell you the truth, the wasted time I’ve spent with Dell has set me back so much, I’m concerned about attempting anything else.  As it is, it only takes me 4 to 5 seconds to hold down the power key to shut down completely.  However, if ever I regain confidence again, any guidance you can give me will be much appreciated.

371 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 15:00

easy solution, go to device manager, click system devices if it isnt already , click Intel Management engine, disable driver.. problem solved

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 16:00

Thank you

December 25th, 2015 19:00

I had this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 on my Inspiron 7347. Tried various solutions, none satisfactory. I recently checked for driver updates from dell, 3 new drivers available, a new BIOS, Chipset, and Network. After installing these updates from Dell, I have had no issues getting my laptop to completely shut down on battery or plugged in. I feel these new drivers fixed my issue.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2015 11:00

Hi

I have had the same problem for a few months . . . . I think I did something related to the desktop mode power setting in Windows 10 for my Dell Inspiron 15.

In control panel, I could not find an "Intel management engine interface" as you describe. So I assume it is not installed.

I then went to the clue about Intel and went to the "Intel HD Graphics" and opened this. Under "Graphics Properties" under "Power", I selected a default, unmodified (not customized by me) power option -  Maximum Battery life.

My laptop now starts immediately without, as I had to do before, either taking the battery out or holding the power button for at least 10 or so seconds.

Before, the power would drain overnight to zero%  . . .  I will now check and see if this is corrected, but as I can already restart after shutting down, I assume this will also be fixed.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2015 22:00

An update . . .  this morning I have a fully charged battery . . .  so for me the problem has been fixed. Before, I had to remove the battery each night . . . now my laptop is shutting down properly and it does not stay warm and drain the battery while off.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2016 04:00

This is happening as its waking up to install updates. Here is the tried and tested solution.

Step 1 – Search Task Scheduler in the windows 10 taskbar.

Step 2 – Browse to the follwoing location path from the left menu.

Task Scheduler Library –> Microsoft –> Windows –> UpdateOrchestrator

Now, Double click on Reboot as shown in the pic below. Click on conditions tab and then uncheck the option which says wake the computer to run this task.

Reference: Prevent Windows 10 Rebooting In Sleep Mode To Install Update

29 Posts

January 1st, 2016 13:00

just keep the intel management engine uninstalled and dont worry about any other updates.  My dell Inspiron 7537 has been fine since I the uninstall in the control panel  

11 Posts

January 6th, 2016 00:00

I have had this issue since doing a clean install of Win 10 and then updating the BIOS in my Latitude 3540.  I have not installed any other Dell updates.  I can't find the Intel Management Engine listed as in installed program in Control Panel but it is listed in Device Manager, where I have now disabled it.  Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

11 Posts

January 8th, 2016 00:00

Ok, so I can successfully shut down, hibernate and sleep my machine now.  But for the last two nights I have firstly slept and then hibernated it, only to find in the morning that it has restarted and is powered up.  What's going on????!!!!!!

53 Posts

January 13th, 2016 16:00

Nooooo, no, noooo!!!! Not again a blunder from Dell :-((( Just tried to install the firmaware update for my HD as offered since a couple of days by Dell. DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE, it contains many bugs. In fact, it is not even capable of installing the firmware update, it quits with an error because the update file itself is not available. However, this happens in a rudimentary Linux-environment after a reboot. The thing is that thje accompanying Linux bootloader is NOT removable after the update procedure anymore. Every boot my system passes this <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> bootloader. Right now I am putting back an image I made 3 days ago, because this bootloader is far from stable. The most sad thing is that this bug exist since 2012 and Seagate knows of it. Why, Dell, WHY did you give me such a buggy tool??? Why did you advice me to install it and why did I fall for it?

For sure, this will be my last Dell laptop, probably even my last Windows laptop. I just have enough of it, I wanted to go sleep but noooo. This whole Windows 10 in combination with my Inspiron is actually a no go, but nowadays I don't have much choice anymore thanks to the pushing of MS. So tired of this. Wonder if the owner of Dell is actually aware what is happening down the ladder in the field. Sad.

Greetings,

Ronald.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2016 17:00

I restored my laptop with settings default. After that I upgraded it to Windows 10 without files or controllers. The problem I guess is the intel intelligent storage.

Actually my lap is working just fina.

1 Message

January 26th, 2016 10:00

como lo sulucionaste?? help me please...

5 Posts

January 27th, 2016 21:00

davidco, if you are having the same problem that I did ... when I clicked on shut down, the monitor would shut down but not the keyboard, and I couldn't restart the computer until the keyboard did shut down.  I discovered that I had to hold the power button down for at least 4 seconds and then the keyboard would shut down.  On this site I learned the solution that worked for me:  Open Device Manager left click on View, left click on  Show hidden devices, left click on  System devices, scroll down to  Intel Management Engine Interface and RIGHT click on it then choose Disable .  Window pops up, “Disabling this drive will cause it to stop functioning.  Do you really want to?”  I clicked yes.  Now when I shut down, my keyboard shuts down along with the monitor.   This has been working for me for 3 weeks.  By the way, Dell had preinstalled Dell Updates on my computer.  Shortly after I disabled the Intel Management Engine Interface the Dell application wanted to enable it again.  I removed the Dell Update application from Control Panel, Programs and Features.  Also, I had worked with Dell technicians for a full month regarding this problem and they didn't have a clue how to resolve it.  Hope this works for you.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

March 29th, 2016 04:00

My problem was started after 1511 update Win10. Tried VGA drivers but no effect.

I tried disable Intel Management Engine Interface - and - all was ok in this time. Then I saw on installed driver for this device and it was different than on Dell pages for my Inspiron 5537.

I reinstall it with this one from Dell pages and from this time is all ok again.

No Events found!