Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

1 Message

March 13th, 2017 12:00

hey bro, I'm using a similar notebook as yours. I have found an even simple solution to fix it. Just simply Right Click the Intel Rapid Technology on your Taskbar, Click Open Application, you will be in Status tab, Navigate to Performance Tab, then Disable the Link Power Management.

Solved! Try and see. It worked for me.

I think that's what causing the shutdown issue.

4 Posts

March 25th, 2017 16:00

had the same problem here -- read all the previous posts and this was a win 7 to win 10 upgrade.. got stuck on 1607 gray screen, so had to change bootmenupolicy to legacy and then once os came up... and shutdown still hdd ssd light stayed on... checked bios and flashed from A12 to A23.... the intel thingy drivers/service not there.. probably in the bios as a setting.. A23 showed a ton of patches and fixes over A12.. caiou..

4 Posts

March 25th, 2017 16:00

flash BIOS from A12 to A23 worked.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2017 14:00

THANK YOUUUU THIS REALLY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

53 Posts

May 31st, 2017 19:00

Ok, I found a solution for now by downloading and installing the driver from www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails. Not for my Inspiron, but it works. Back to 9.5!!! Dell, please do something constructive about this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 Posts

May 31st, 2017 19:00

And it started all over again after the Creators Update. Only this time, there is no way back anymore. Windows installs the broken v11 driver of Intel Management. Since Dell doesn't have the stable 9.5 driver, and at the Intel site all drivers regarding Intel Management are taken offline, this laptop reached end of life. Never a Dell again in my life, total waste of money. Invested in an SSD, but now can't switch of my laptop anymore. Wonderful. What a mess.

Ronald.

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2017 16:00

Ronald, I feel your frustration with Dell.  I bought my third Dell laptop in 2015 and am so regretful that I did.  When I first had the problem with my laptop not shutting down because of the Intel driver, Dell didn't have a clue.  After 3-months of tech phone calls and 3 service techs to my home, they not only still didn't have a clue, the keyboard was damaged from all the times they had to remove it because they thought it had to do with the motherboard.  They were willing to fix it, but I had had enough.  Plus, the metal keyboard is a nightmare to try to type on.  I bought a Logitech keyboard.  You'd think by now that Dell would be aware and have a solution, but how would you know?  They don't seem to answer these posts.

BTW, I have an Inspiron 17 and I noted in your post that that after you recommended downloading a driver from Dell you wrote, "Not for my Inspiron."  So I'm wondering if I should try to download the Dell driver?  I tried the earlier suggestion of disabling the Intel Link Power Management, but it didn't work.

So I'm wondering what brand of laptop or notebook to switch to.  Would I still have this Intel / Windows 10 problem anyway?

53 Posts

June 3rd, 2017 19:00

After doing some research, it turns out that this is a major problem on almost every laptop from around 2015...2016. Intel pulled all the drivers regarding Intel Management Engine offline, so there is no fallback. Why they did that is not known. Probably it's considered an obsolete technology by them. After the v11.x drivers no updates ever appeared. It means actually that Intel shows the middle finger to its clients. Right now with the Sky Lake chipsets something similar is going on. There is a hardware bug in one of its components that leads to a stream of WEA correctable hardware errors. In some cases it floods the Windows logs with thousands of such errors per hour. It's not fatal, but leads to huge log files and possible performance degrading because of the continuous logging. The solution is in the hands of Ontel, but they don't seem to have one. Even replacing a main board doesn't help, it's really a chipset bug. And since Sky Lake is already 'old' don't expect one too.

You could try the driver I found, it worked on my Dell, despite the fact that it is meant for another system. The driver is not vital at all, because no non-corporate user will ever have anything to do with Intel Management Engine-stuff (also there are security concerns around it). Normally you should be able to switch off those nonsense in the BIOS, but not so with most laptops. I got lucky, because it turned out I once downloaded a compete set of drivers from Dell for my specific system the moment Windows 10 appeared. The first driver they offered was v9.5, also the only working one. Why they pulled this version from their downloads and why Microsoft choose to install v11 driver - which now for years is known to be broken badly - instead of the stable 9.5 will be a mystery forever. Windows 10 for sure is a disaster regarding pushed updates that introduce more problems then they solve. I'll give it five to ten years max and Windows will be something only found in the history books. Anyway, after experimentng with different driver versions, I restored an earlier image and installed the original 9.5 driver. Luckily I always save everything in matter of drivers and system software, but I really thought I didn't this time. Underestimated myself :-)

Switching to a different (brand of) notebook will undoubtitly introduce other problems. Don't buy a model that just came out. Take one from half a year old or so. Check first if there are known problems with it. If so, ask yourself if those problems will affect you. Don't go for the ultra high end models, but buy something a bit lower. In speed it will not make that much difference. If the laptop is ok, it will serve you for years (unless Microsoft suddenly introduces stupid 'featues' like 3D Paint that will block some older laptops in upgrading because of GPU-demands...). If the laptop does fail or contains larger hidden problems, a new system will not cost you a huge amount of money again. Most middle class and cheaper laptops are more then adequate for even the most demanding tasks nowadays. Only for gaming an extra GPU might be interesting. But keep in mind that those also can create problems regarding drivers etc. Safest choice seems to be NVIDIA, but install their drivers ONLY and not all the other *** like game center etc. They are widely known to cause crashes and a boatload of other ***. In short: Don't buy what you don't explicitly need. And don't install what you don't need (regularly). That's a golden rule under Windows 10.

7 Posts

August 31st, 2017 01:00

how to do this can you please share steps ?

1 Message

January 12th, 2018 23:00

Go to intel rapid storage and then go to performance and disable the link power management. Restart and then shut down the problem gets solved. Even when you check the link power management again it will show enabled, but leave it like that and still the problem will not occur. It has worked for me.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2018 15:00

We have several Dell portable computers, and some of them fails to shut down after 1803 update.
None of them have any Intel Rapid storage installed, so that has definitely nothing to do with this issue.
IME cannot be downgraded to 9.5 on Win10 1803 because it does not meet the criterias required for installation (the installer just terminates with an error message). We have tried disabling the IME drivers in Device Manager, but that makes no difference. We have even tried to disable IME all together in the BIOS, but that doesn't help either.

But the strange thing is that after re-enabling the IME again, and reactivating the IME drivers in Device Manager, the machines actually did shut down properly ONCE !   Believe it or not. But on the second attempt, they failed again. Restart (reboot) always works all the time. Hibernate fails persistantly, just like ShutDown.

So, we tend to believe that this is a delicate timing issue of some sort. Activities that needs to happen in a particular order (sequence), somehow gets slightly out of sync, and shutdown fails. It may have something to do with the IME, but fiddeling with it hasn't helped much so far.
Of course BIOS is updated to the newest version available, and all other drivers are also updated. Disabling fast-start or hibernation doesn't help at all. So the issue seems to be difficult to solve.

Any NEW good ideas are welcome.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2018 04:00

I have exactly the same problem on my Latitude E6510 freshly upgraded to Windows 1803. I have no IMEI driver installed (or I can't see it) and it isn't aviable to download for my i7 Q 720 processor. Any suggestions what is there to try?

I turned off fast boot.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 06:00

IMEI?? I trust you mean IME (Intel Management Engine).

Is your PC set to use IFE boot (GPT) or BIOS (MBR) ?

6 Posts

August 17th, 2018 09:00

Oh yeah, and the PC is set to use IFE (GPT) boot.

No Events found!