cwatbruno
2 Bronze

RE: Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

One would think it was just that easy.  After 3 laptops and literally dozens (with an "s") of hours on the phone, one which included a tour of India while I watched my laptop being remotely controlled by a Dell worker in India showing me his country via pictures and at least half a dozen people and their "executive" staff (after I emailed Michael Dell to tell him his product's quality was garbage), the best I could get was a 17" laptop that I did NOT want but got tired of fighting with them losing my order, screwing up my order, sending me non-functional laptops, sending me a non-touch screen when I ordered a touch screen, sending a laptop with no dvd recorder when I specifically said that is what I wanted...it has been nothing but a nightmare.  I used to buy nothing BUT Dell laptops.  I have a Dell notebook that is virtually non-functional and the laptop that is constantly problematic.  I build my own desktops....Looks like I'm going to have to find a way to build my own laptops...too bad most of the parts are proprietary!  My suggestion to EVERYONE is to stop buying Dell products until Mike Dell decides to put QUALITY in front of shareholders for a change!  

0 Kudos
aptpupil5
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 7737 with factory installed Windows 8.1 but immediately upon receiving it, upgraded to Windows 10

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Dell still doesn’t have a clue to solving the problem of shut down.

I bought the laptop in late July, then waited for Win 10 to be released in August to upgrade to it.  The shut down problem didn’t occur until late September. Not wanting to take the time with Dell techs, I waited until November 3 to call.  From then until now, December 23, I have spent several hours a week in communication with them, either through phone calls, remote access, or emails.  Dell sent a service tech to my home three times, starting December 11:  1- to replace the motherboard, but the new one was defective.  2 - to install another new motherboard,  damaged the WiFi card in the process.  3 - replace damaged WiFi card, keyboard won’t seat properly. Nothing has worked.  Laptop still won’t shut down.  I’m done.  They want to return to replace palm rest and keyboard and I won’t let them. (I’m using a Logitech keyboard)

rockyanexpert, you said to downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.  What are the steps I need to take to do this, please?  Also, you said to go to advanced system settings and choose, No, let me choose (disable automatic driver updates)

But then ...

BoXyTar, you claim that IMEI has to be removed and let windows install v9.5 ... and then it won’t upgrade, nothing else needs to be done.  You also said to remove the WiFi drivers and let Win 10 install them.

Ronald, you wrote about making images, one with True Image 15, and one with the Windows image tool.  Right after Dell helped me upgrade to Windows 10, and after I had installed my basic programs, I made a recovery disk.  Perhaps I should now make an image?

To tell you the truth, the wasted time I’ve spent with Dell has set me back so much, I’m concerned about attempting anything else.  As it is, it only takes me 4 to 5 seconds to hold down the power key to shut down completely.  However, if ever I regain confidence again, any guidance you can give me will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
jessy.holiday
3 Zinc

easy solution, go to device manager, click system devices if it isnt already , click Intel Management engine, disable driver.. problem solved

aptpupil5
2 Bronze

Thank you

0 Kudos
Steven Henry
2 Bronze

I had this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 on my Inspiron 7347. Tried various solutions, none satisfactory. I recently checked for driver updates from dell, 3 new drivers available, a new BIOS, Chipset, and Network. After installing these updates from Dell, I have had no issues getting my laptop to completely shut down on battery or plugged in. I feel these new drivers fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
Ecotao
2 Bronze

Hi

I have had the same problem for a few months . . . . I think I did something related to the desktop mode power setting in Windows 10 for my Dell Inspiron 15.

In control panel, I could not find an "Intel management engine interface" as you describe. So I assume it is not installed.

I then went to the clue about Intel and went to the "Intel HD Graphics" and opened this. Under "Graphics Properties" under "Power", I selected a default, unmodified (not customized by me) power option -  Maximum Battery life.

My laptop now starts immediately without, as I had to do before, either taking the battery out or holding the power button for at least 10 or so seconds.

Before, the power would drain overnight to zero%  . . .  I will now check and see if this is corrected, but as I can already restart after shutting down, I assume this will also be fixed.

0 Kudos
Ecotao
2 Bronze

An update . . .  this morning I have a fully charged battery . . .  so for me the problem has been fixed. Before, I had to remove the battery each night . . . now my laptop is shutting down properly and it does not stay warm and drain the battery while off.

0 Kudos
john3361
2 Bronze

This is happening as its waking up to install updates. Here is the tried and tested solution.

Step 1 – Search Task Scheduler in the windows 10 taskbar.

Step 2 – Browse to the follwoing location path from the left menu.

Task Scheduler Library –> Microsoft –> Windows –> UpdateOrchestrator

Now, Double click on Reboot as shown in the pic below. Click on conditions tab and then uncheck the option which says wake the computer to run this task.

Reference: Prevent Windows 10 Rebooting In Sleep Mode To Install Update

0 Kudos
lotust251
2 Bronze

just keep the intel management engine uninstalled and dont worry about any other updates.  My dell Inspiron 7537 has been fine since I the uninstall in the control panel  

0 Kudos
mikew5163
2 Bronze

I have had this issue since doing a clean install of Win 10 and then updating the BIOS in my Latitude 3540.  I have not installed any other Dell updates.  I can't find the Intel Management Engine listed as in installed program in Control Panel but it is listed in Device Manager, where I have now disabled it.  Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

0 Kudos