Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 15th, 2016 11:00

Upgrading to Windows 10 on two new Dells

I'm setting up two new computers for a small business, an Inspiron mini tower desktop with Dell Ultra monitor and an Inspiron laptop. Both computers came with Windows 7 installed. After discussion, we decided to upgrade to Windows 10 now (included, supposedly) to avoid a second learning curve for the crew later. 

After spending 2 hours on my own (I'm Windows savvy) and 3 (three!) additional hours online with Dell Tech Support, we were unable to get Windows 10 to install on either machine. Here's what we tried:

1. Reading the how-to on Dell's support page. It refers to desktop icons to upgrade to W10. Neither machine had the required icons and there was no other on-line instructions on what to do next.
  2. Tried the included W10 discs. Turns out they are not bootable and do not install anything.

Contacted Dell Tech Support. We did the following:

1. Downloaded the MSFT media creation tool. Ran it, first on the laptop then on the desktop.
  2. Creation tool eventually went through the install procedure then announced "Checking for updates". The creation tool then hung the computer, doing nothing else for hours.
  3. The same problem happened on the desktop.
  4. The tech support guy though helpful was at the end of his skill set. He started making suggestions like changing the BIOS (EUFI) before re-installing rather than later.
  5. We rebooted the desktop and it hung completely, saying it couldn't find any media.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Finally I ended the support call and reset everything to default. I now have Windows 7 running just fine on both machines. 

I've been buying Dells for over 25 years and I've never seen such a mess as the way these two machines were delivered regarding the OS. And tech support's inability to solve the issue in 3 hours was crazy. Surely we're not the first to want to upgrade to W10.

I'm not sure we'll continue to try to upgrade, but just in case, can someone point me to a solution here?

Thanks for reading.

EdB

No Responses!
No Events found!