Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2016 09:00

WIN 10 Installation Issues

WIN 10 Installation Issues

I have a DELL Inspiron 15, 3542 Series, running Window 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that I am trying to upgrade to WIN 10. I have a 500 GB HD with 318 GB of free space. I have failed to do so on about 6 or 7 or 8 attempts—I’ve lost track.

• I had MS Support on line for about 2 hours (Case #1347424250)--no success.
  • I have tried the ‘normal’ method, responding to the WIN 10 prompt—no success.
  • I have disabled MS Security Essentials—no success.
  • I have tried a ‘clean reboot’ installation—no success.
  • I have removed CC Cleaner—no success.
  • I have downloaded all of the required s/w onto an 8 GB thumb drive (on another of my 3 pcs) and tried that method—no success.
  • I ran MS’s Mr. Fixit. I ran CHKDSK. I defragged my HD.
  • I have updated my drivers from the DELL website—no success.

All with no success. The process goes so far and I always get the same error message:

“0x8007002c-0x2000D

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.”

I have looked all over the internet and seen this problem referred to many times, but have yet to find a workaround that handles this problem (whatever it is). Should I just give up and continue to run WIN 7 until this pc dies?

July 21, 2016

• 

16.7K Posts

July 21st, 2016 10:00

RCAASTRO 

Try the information listed in the link below to see if it will resolve the issue and get Windows 10 installed.

Error 0x8007002c-0x2000D

2.3K Posts

July 21st, 2016 17:00

Hello!  Have you updated your BIOS?  Have you also tried a clean install, meaning boot from the install media and upgrade or wipe and start fresh?  If you do anything like that make sure your stuff is backed up.  

57 Posts

July 21st, 2016 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion Jesse.  I've actually seen that post before and tried it.  I tired it again a short while ago, and continue to get the same error message.

57 Posts

July 24th, 2016 12:00

Yes, I've updated my BIOS.I've just backed up what I wish to save and I guess my next step is a totally clean install.  Thanks for the suggestion.

2.3K Posts

July 24th, 2016 22:00

Hopefully it works out for you.  Windows 10 is still a bit buggy after almost a year :-(

57 Posts

July 25th, 2016 11:00

All's well that ends! But, how did I get there? I went to the forum at WINDOWS TENFORUMS and downloaded "Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First", printed it, read it thoroughly twice, and started, doing steps 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. At step 7 it says do a clean install... Assuming this meant from the USB drive created in step 2, I went there, clicked on Setup and away we went. I NEVER saw steps 8 through 12. Instead, it looked just like all of my other failed attempts, until I came to the screen that had two bullets to check that said something to the effect that 'save all apps and data'. I unchecked everything, got a warning that said that everything would be erased and lo and behold, WIN 10 is now the OS on this pc. Amazing, perhaps I should have done that earlier when I was attempting an upgrade from 7 to 10.  Hopefully this information may help others.

Thanks to all who made suggestions to me.

No Events found!