Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2015 05:00

WIN10 'Upgrade' Problems - Taskbar and Start Menu not working, DISM Error: 0x800f081f

I see on the Dell site that my Latitude 3550 is supposed to be WIN10 compatible.   I did the "Upgrade" from WIN8.1 and it 'appeared' to complete successfully,  I updated all the drivers as instructed.   I find now that basic functionality of the OS is not working-  Can't access Start Menu, can't access Taskbar items (Internet connections, audio, search....). 

Read many support posts on this issue and entered powershell commands in Admin mode:

sfc /scannow    -shows many errors

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  -fails,  Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found.

I really didn't expect to spend hours recovering basic OS functionality on this basically new machine.   Are my only options to roll back to WIN 8.1 or do a Repair install of WIN 10?  

2.3K Posts

December 26th, 2015 11:00

You can try to do a repair of windows 10, but most people seem to have random issues doing an in place upgrade.  Most advice i've seen would be to do a clean install.  Make sure you have all the updated drivers on a USB Drive and wipe it all and start over with windows 10.

14 Posts

December 26th, 2015 12:00

Yes,   I just wasted several hours creating a bootable USB and doing a repair install only to have the exact same issues (Start Menu doesn't work, Taskbar is not functional, etc.).  In the process I lost my ability to go back to WIN 8.1. Very disappointed. If WIN 10 isn't ready for prime time then why does Dell even recommend it? This PC is almost brand new and now I have to wipe it?  

2.3K Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

hmm.. Well you can try a fresh install (not a repair but wipe and install everything as new), or you can have Dell send you a recovery flash drive.  You can also call Microsoft for help as they are providing free tech support for people who have upgraded to windows 10.  If they can get your start menu to work, you may be able to use the dell backup and recovery software to restore back to windows 8.1

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 11:00

Beamermt79, after the son of the son of the upgrade to WIN10 it looks like it installed clean.  I was advised to do a clean install by wiping the drive, but I just opted for the 'save only my files' option (I had nothing to lose  at that point, had already wasted a lot of my time on this,  and want to sit through the transfer of all my pictures and files to an external drive ).  

It looks like that final upgrade finally took- installing without errors/corruption. Apparently the root cause was some application conflict that the feeble MS OS installer can't deal with, doesn't fault detect/ isolate/or correct, and just lets you deal with it - the installs complete with no errors.    

2.3K Posts

December 28th, 2015 11:00

Wow, well at least it works now!  The MS installer is supposed to check for incompatible programs but it seems it missed one in your case.  Glad it works now!

No Events found!