Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 12th, 2018 06:00

WIndows 10 Creators Fall Update 1709 fails to install on Precision M3800

I believe I have the latest drivers, although the driver detection feature on Dell's website fails.

Does anyone have an authoritative list of the driver versions that allow Windows 10 1709 to install. Dell's site says it's been tested on this laptop.

Thanks

Martin

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 12th, 2018 07:00

@martin000wrote:

I believe I have the latest drivers, although the driver detection feature on Dell's website fails.

Does anyone have an authoritative list of the driver versions that allow Windows 10 1709 to install. Dell's site says it's been tested on this laptop.

Thanks

Martin

You may want to update the BIOS first. I never use Dell's driver auto detection. :BigSmile:

What is the failure message you are getting?

6 Posts

March 12th, 2018 08:00

Hi ieee,

I've just updated to the latest BIOS and wifi/Bluetooth driver.

Previously it failed with system_service_exception on rebooting after upgrade attempt.

Just the last couple of days and new user interface came up saying I needed the latest version in order to get critical updates. I'd previously disabled installation of 1709 as it kept failing.

I'll see how it goes over the next week or so. Right now windows says it's up to date.

Thanks

Martin

6 Posts

March 13th, 2018 14:00

Still fails to install
Blue screen Error System_service_exception

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 14th, 2018 09:00

Have you tried a fresh install of 1709 instead of upgrading?

I fresh installed Windows 10 1709 64-bit on a M6300.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2018 10:00

Last night I tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. (I presume the latest - I used windows 10 media creation tool to create the usb stick). It failed to install.

I recall there's a couple of editions of m3800. I think mine is 2011. Don't know how significant that is.
Starting to think my laptop is dead ended by Microsoft/Dell

Martin

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 21st, 2018 13:00

@martin000wrote:
Last night I tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. (I presume the latest - I used windows 10 media creation tool to create the usb stick). It failed to install.

I recall there's a couple of editions of m3800. I think mine is 2011. Don't know how significant that is.
Starting to think my laptop is dead ended by Microsoft/Dell

Martin

According to http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-fall-creators-update-and-previous-versions-of-windows-10?lang=en, the M3800 is compatible.

Drivers http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/11551.precision-m3800-windows-10-driver-pack/

Could there be a chance your hard drive has gone bad?

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 12:00

This site doesn't cope with not being logged in before replying - even though clicked on link in email.

I will check the driver list later - thanks

tried this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors#troubleshooting-upgrade-errors

- didn't work. msconfig hung

6 Posts

March 24th, 2018 05:00

Verifying my list of drivers against the cab seems quite laborious.

Is there a means of applying the cab that you can recommend? I don't have Microsoft System Centre Configuration Manager. I see the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is an option. I've never heard of it or used it. Is there a powershell script I can run to do this?

Thanks

Martin

No Events found!