Highlighted
8 Krypton

Will upgrading to Win 10 Professional allow me to control downloads and installation of patches and hotfixes

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 Home edition. In this version of Windows updates are automatic and get installed on the system on their own. This creates problems for my work and also causes network usage spikes at my home network. I cannot set the network to be metered because then most of my other downloads and other background processes stops. I need a mechanism via which I can control when the updates are downloaded and installed. Frankly I could never understand this idocity of having automatic updates.

So my question is this, if I upgrade to Windows 10 Professional will it give me the control which was previously present with Windows 7 where I could turn off automatic updates and then check for updates when it was convenient to me?

Have a nice day

Amardeep

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Will upgrading to Win 10 Professional allow me to control downloads and installation of patches and hotfixes

Partial yes. You cannot totally shut it off (although somehow I was able to carryover that setting on my Windows 8 system after upgrading to Windows 10). Pro will allow you (through Group Policy Editor) to set Windows Update to tell you when updates are available but not download or install them until you physically click the "Download" button. I have sat on updates for several days using this option. Information here

(www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10).

However things change with the upcoming Creators Update. You get more control, even with the Home version. You will get a pop-up notification indicating when updates are available to install. You then will have the option to pick a date and time when the updates are installed (apparently they will be downloaded but not yet physically installed until you reboot). Also the maximum "Hours" you can say not to install any updates increases from 12 to 18.

JohnD

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

RE: Will upgrading to Win 10 Professional allow me to control downloads and installation of patches and hotfixes

The Creators update does not solve my problem. Defering any updates from 12 to 18 hours is like following the same policy but just increasing the flexibility period. I need the ability to defe the updates till I want them. IF the updates are going to be downloaded then they will be using my bandwidth during normal working hours. I do not want that too. Basically I want control akin to what is present in Windows 7 laptops.

gusky
1 Copper

Dell does not know windows 10 very well ???

0 Kudos