Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

78 Posts

February 24th, 2019 14:00

Win 10 clean install - program preparations

I did an upgrade from OEM Win7 to Win 10, though it really didb=n;t work right. Still had lots of problems. So, I'm biting the bullet and preparing to do a clean install. I need help on how to prepare re-stalling my programs and what is the best way to gather all the product keys and best practice in the transition. Any tips?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 26th, 2019 09:00

Ensure you copy all your files to an external hard drive. Programs wise, it depends on what you have installed... you'll need to provide details.

I've put some notes on Clean Installing Windows 10 are available here:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-10/

You will not need to enter your Windows 7 Product Key for a clean install of Windows 10 (on a system that has already been activated), just ensure you select the correct Edition of Windows 10 during installation and skip the Product Key. The correct Edition for Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic and Home Premium is Windows 10 Home and for Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate is Windows 10 Pro.

Drivers wise, most drivers will be inbuilt to Windows 10 for hardware old enough to be shipped with Windows 7. Also what model of Dell is this?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 27th, 2019 14:00

You can use Belarc Advisor (free) to show you the product keys for all your installed apps.

And make sure you have the installation disks for those apps, if you can't download them again for free (with product key) from the companies that developed those apps.

If you have a paid subscription for McAfee antiviral software, make sure you're registered at their site before wiping the drive so you can download their software again for free, and be able use the remaining balance of a paid subscription.

Don't forget to back up (export) your browser favorites list, email address book, and your in- and out- mailboxes on external media too so you can restore (import) them after a clean install.

You'll also need to know the access key code for your WiFi router because you'll have to re-create the network connection to the router after your clean install. (If your PC is hardwired to the router, you probably don't have an access key code for the router.)

12 Posts

March 8th, 2019 12:00

To avoid losing your data, you can backup your files and programs in a secondary partition on your Hard Drive or in a USB Drive, and don't worry about Windows 10 activation, because it's already activated on your computer, so what you have to do is to select "I don't have a product key" while doing the clean install, then Windows 10 will be activated automatically when your PC is connected to the internet

March 9th, 2019 23:00

Check that you have activated Windows 10 - Settings, Update, Activation. 

I would expect it to be reported as Windows is activated with a digital licence

Any queries then post back.

Denis

No Events found!