Highlighted
draftnyc
1 Copper

Win10 move personal folders to another drive

Just got Inspiron 7000 laptop and only have a small OS drive 128gb. Would like to move user folders to 1tb drive and have windows point to it, so that system can run more efficiently, especially after I add games and other software. I did find a guide at Tenforum, but it warned it is risky on OEM pre-installed win10, because it involves sysprepping and could affect Dell's have custom files.

So does anyone know how to do this on Dell's Win10 Pro?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Win10 move personal folders to another drive

Are you sure about the model number? There are no new computers with that small single drive. You should have a 1TB hard drive for data in that model. All programs and files (everything) should be installed on that drive. It is probably named Drive D but check in Disk Management and also to see a visual of your drives. Right click on the start button to get to disk management.

You have to change every download and program installer to use Drive D since the default is C.

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

See this page for your specs--

pilot.search.dell.com/.../Inspiron 15-7000 specs

0 Kudos
draftnyc
1 Copper

The specs clearly state that there is a 128 gb ssd drive and a 1tb hdd and I'm positive my  laptop is an Inspiron 7000 gaming. The OS is on C and only 69.2gb is free of 105gb, which includes 3 recovery partitions and the EFI system partition. I have only downloaded a few browsers and Open Office, everything else was pre-installed. The D data drive is completely empty.

My problem is the storage folders are located on the c drive, which will quickly fill when I add other programs and their related storage. It was easy to move the user personal/storage folders to another drive in earlier versions of windows, but it has become complicated in win10. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I found a solution at Tenforum, which I was directed to from Microsoft's support site. However, it clearly stated that this solution could be a problem on OEM pre-installed systems. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your message.

We do not recommend moving any of the system files (OS) to another drive now as this may cause a no boot or blue screen error.

However, you can move the destination of the data files like downloads documents, pictures etc.

To do this click on file explorer & click on the quick access tab

Right click on the folder location you want to move.

Example if it is the documents folder, right click on the folder & click on location,

Click on move tab & choose the drive you want the files to be in.

When you install new programs, choose custom install & you can change the default location & install the file on the 1TB drive.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Vtube
1 Copper

Here is the steps you can take in order to have all your windows and contents onto the other drive.

This a Tutorial after that i cloned my HDD to the SSD

hope it helps

https://youtu.be/_9h0i3WEOkE

If you have any question dont hesitate

0 Kudos