Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

December 16th, 2018 05:00

Windows 10 Hello facial recognition no longer works

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1.  After the most recent Windows 10 1809 feature update, the Windows Hello facial recognition biometric feature stopped working.  The two red IR dots near the camera no longer flash at the login screen, and after a few seconds Windows says please log in using your PIN.  I tried to reset the feature by uninstalling the Windows Hello camera driver under "Biometric Devices" group in the device manager.  Unfortunately I that seemed to make the problem worse -- now at the login screen it immediately says something along the lines of "Something went wrong, please login using your PIN". 

The only Biometric device listed in the device manager is the Goodix fingerprint device and the Windows Hello setup screen doesn't have any options for setting up facial recognition.  I know the IR camera driver is installed because it is listed as an "Integrated Webcam" under the "Cameras" group in the device manager.  I tried reinstalling the Realtek IR Camera Driver but that didn't help.  Is there a driver I should reinstall or something else I should remove to trigger resetting the facial recognition setup?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 16th, 2018 05:00

You are not alone. A number of users have lost Hello after 1809. The following page may help.

https://www.bynarycodes.com/windows-hello-not-working-after-1809-update/

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 16th, 2018 07:00

@rlyerly wrote:

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1.  The two red IR dots near the camera no longer flash at the login screen, and after a few seconds Windows says please log in using your PIN. 

I know the IR camera driver is installed because it is listed as an "Integrated Webcam" under the "Cameras" group in the device manager. 

If you actually have two IR emmiters on that system, it may be different than mine.  On my 9365, there are two cameras listed under the cameras section in device manager.  On the properties window, Details page, one shows Realtek DMFT - RGB and the other shows Realtek DMFT - IR..

My system still shows Facial Rec is available and has had the 1809 update.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for the quick reply!  I went through most of the suggestions, but none of them seemed to work.  Doing a full system refresh or reset may be what's needed here.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2018 10:00

I have no idea how the 9575's camera compares to the 9365's -- maybe just a form factor or generational camera upgrade?

Regardless, looking in the Device Manager I have the same two cameras that you mention -- "Realtek DMFT - RGB" and "Realtek DMFT - IR".

What I can't figure out is that I used to have 2 devices listed under "Biometric devices" - "Goodix fingerprint" and a "Windows Hello" device.  Now I only have the fingerprint device and I can't figure out how to get the Windows Hello driver for the camera back.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 18th, 2018 08:00

Windows may have a glitch but the first thing I would do is undo any prior Windows Hello options and start over.

The system should pick up the infrared camera and give you the Windows Hello option unless it is suffering some type glitch.

You might also download the drivers for both cameras.  Then go offline and uninstall both cameras and check the box to uninstall all drivers.

Then install the downloaded drivers and only go back online after you have rebooted the system.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 18th, 2018 16:00

I am still showing the Windows Hello Face device.  If it was on your system, you may see a version of it in Device Manager if you set it to see hidden devices.  Updating its driver may help bit it seems it is using the 17763.168 driver version.

On my system there many different drivers Dell will install.  Maybe, somehow one of those has been missed.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2019 12:00

Just install C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver\HelloFace.inf

iR

1 Message

December 13th, 2019 01:00

Same issue - Windows Hello stopped recognising the Realtek IR integrated camera in my Inspiron AIO 7775 on 13/12/19. Reinstalling driver had no effect most recent driver dates to 11/2017.

1 Message

January 20th, 2022 16:00

Had similar problems with dell monitor P2418HZm

My fix was to use  this driver https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-au/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TN71G

No Events found!