Start a Conversation

Unsolved

93 Posts

June 24th, 2019 20:00

Windows 10 Home v1903 title bar window controls displays...

I have the following system which I recently performed a factory reset selecting option two, removed all personal files, installed programs and Store apps. Essentially a clean install, yes?

Dell Inspiron 13-5368 2-in-1, Windows 10 Home v1903, Service Tag: 

The factory reset went as expected. No errors or warnings from beginning to end of the process. I created a new profile, re-installed all my applications and Store apps.

As I opened the default Windows 10 Store apps like: [Settings, Calculator, Calendar, Alarm & Clock, Camera, Connect, Groove Music, Maps, and Movies & TV], I noticed that the title bar window controls (minimize, restore/maximize, close) are not displayed in the Dark mode color which I selected in the Settings App. That being: "Choose your color = Dark". If I enable or disable the "Title bars and windows borders" setting. The controls are either displayed in the accent color I defined (blue) or light grey.

This looks like a bug, yes? The color of those controls should be black as defined by the Dark mode. That's what I see on another laptop I have. That laptop is running Windows 10 Pro v1803.

New Bitmap Image.png

5.6K Posts

June 25th, 2019 06:00

@kduck28 wrote:

I have the following system which I recently performed a factory reset selecting option two, removed all personal files, installed programs and Store apps. Essentially a clean install, yes?

Dell Inspiron 13-5368 2-in-1, Windows 10 Home v1903, Service Tag: 

The factory reset went as expected. No errors or warnings from beginning to end of the process. I created a new profile, re-installed all my applications and Store apps.

As I opened the default Windows 10 Store apps like: [Settings, Calculator, Calendar, Alarm & Clock, Camera, Connect, Groove Music, Maps, and Movies & TV], I noticed that the title bar window controls (minimize, restore/maximize, close) are not displayed in the Dark mode color which I selected in the Settings App. That being: "Choose your color = Dark". If I enable or disable the "Title bars and windows borders" setting. The controls are either displayed in the accent color I defined (blue) or light grey.

This looks like a bug, yes? The color of those controls should be black as defined by the Dark mode. That's what I see on another laptop I have. That laptop is running Windows 10 Pro v1803.

New Bitmap Image.png

Your title says v1903 yet your post says v1803.  Not the same. I suspect if you are resetting, you have v1803.

Anyway, v1903 is out. You might want to try it.

93 Posts

June 25th, 2019 17:00

You misread my post. I put the laptop name at the top with the version it is running on. Later in the post I state I have "another" laptop running v1803 which does not have the problem specified. The image I added shows what is happening on the 13-5368 laptop.

5.6K Posts

June 25th, 2019 19:00

I am not sure why you are posting here. It is a software problem. Go ask Microsoft.

93 Posts

June 26th, 2019 07:00

I'm posting here to determine if someone else has experienced the same scenario. It may not be a "Windows software" problem, but a problem with a Dell display driver. If you don't have anything constructive to add don't respond. I did not solicit your interest anyway.

14 Posts

June 26th, 2019 07:00

Which display adapter are you using.?

93 Posts

June 26th, 2019 09:00

The laptop was shipped with Intel HD Graphics 520 graphics controller. After the factory reset I checked all the device settings. Everything is up to date. Another thing I did was compare the registry keys and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM between the 13-5368 laptop and my other laptop (a Vostro 1000) which does not have this problem. They were all he same.

53 Posts

June 26th, 2019 09:00

Edit: content removed by bjm_ because content did not address OP concerns. 

93 Posts

June 27th, 2019 05:00

You are on the right track. Here is a key factory in the scenario. I performed a "factory reset" with the 1903 version of the Media Creation Tool. I've done some research and discovered that the "factory reset" and the "clean" install have some slight differences in execution even though they seem to do the same thing.

Microsoft implemented the Light mode as a new feature in v1903. Your image properly shows the Colors settings which can be either Dark, Light or Custom. On a system running v1803 or v1809, the Colors settings are not the same as v1903. On the 1803/1809 systems, you can only choose between either Dark or Light and the Light mode does not have the same affect as the Light mode on the 1903 system.

On my Settings > Personalization > Colors page, I can select Custom = "Dark" for both Default App and Default Windows or just "Dark". All Windows will appear the same. I never use Light. That part (Choose your colors), of the Colors settings specifically affects the UWP apps (Calendar, Calculator, Groove, Movie & TV, etc. etc. etc.). So I expect the entire Title Bar and System Caption Buttons (min/restore/max/close) area to be displayed in "Dark" mode ala black.

It could be Microsoft wants the Caption Button area to have a different accent color than the rest of the Title Bar regardless of which mode is selected. If not, it's a bug and they may not know about it yet. They sure don't describe it as a change. I just hope it's not a Dell display driver problem. So far I don't think it is.

53 Posts

June 27th, 2019 06:00

93 Posts

June 27th, 2019 08:00

I'm not asking anyone to do anything. I'm trying to determine if anyone has noticed the accent color change in the "caption buttons" (min/restore/max/close) of the title bar as I have, if a "factory reset" or "clean install" to v1903 was performed on the computer, regardless of the manufacturer. That's the scenario!  Since I have a Dell, that's why I'm posting here.

Your computer shipped with 1809 and was updated to v1903 through Windows Update. So you do fit the scenario I described. If you want to try go for it. That's your prerogative.

I understand that MS introduced the "new" Light mode. However, Light mode was already part of 1803 and 1809. They just implemented it in a different way for 1903. That's the issue.

v1903 introduced three options to "Choose your color" : Dark, Light, or Custom. Custom is the new option which can be toggled to Dark or Light for Apps and Windows.

Whether I sets the mode to Custom = (Dark + Dark) or Dark, the outcome/affect is the same. But the accent color to the caption buttons don't map to Dark using either setting on my computer. As I show in my image of the original post. You see the blue accent color on the caption buttons.

53 Posts

June 27th, 2019 10:00

93 Posts

June 27th, 2019 18:00

I appreciate your responses, but displaying the image of Chrome when I specifically said this issue would only be seen with the Windows UWP apps doesn't apply to the situation. The examples of the effected I gave were Settings, Calculator, Calendar, Groove, Movie TV, etc. The image of your Settings apps is what I expect to see, but before you get there you would have had to perform a factory reset or maybe a clean install of Windows 10 Home with the v1903 version of the MCT. Is this what you are trying to show me you have done? A factory reset or clean install of 1903 from the MCT?

53 Posts

June 28th, 2019 06:00

content removed by bjm_ because content does not address OP concerns

93 Posts

June 28th, 2019 08:00

This morning my second laptop started to update from v1803 to v1903. This second laptop did not have the accent color issue in the caption buttons. So after the update is complete, I'll report back.

14 Posts

July 4th, 2019 09:00

Microsoft has released the latest update before resolving a number of outstanding issues. But at least they now provide a more centralized location for getting update information. The home page (dashboard) can be found here and the specific page for the latest update can be found here.

No Events found!