Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2016 06:00

Windows 10 Login screen

The Dell-customised login screen frequently forgets my username on resuming from a locked screen, and never puts focus on the password input box when I have typed it. I think this is symptomatic of a failed fingerprint reader driver installation, but I can't resolve this issue either despite having followed advice elsewhere on Dell support.

Additionally, if I get my password wrong, the screen layout of buttons / messages etc is just broken (see attached)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest you update the chipset driver . We would also suggest you to un-install and re-install the video drivers

Please do let us know if this help .

Thanks

Robin

April 28th, 2016 04:00

Hi Robin, thanks for the speedy reply, it's much appreciated.

Could you give me some more details of exactly which chipset driver you are referring to please? I've already installed all the available chipset driver updates that Dell Command | Update suggests, and uninstalled/reinstalled my video drivers, but the result is unchanged.

I don't know if it's significant, but there are 2 updates suggested by Dell Command | Update that I can't install:

1) "ST Microelectronics Free fall Data Protection" - this is already installed, but still prompts me. I've tried uninstalling/re-installing but it always comes up in Dell Command | Update regardless

2) "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console" - this fails with a "This platform is not supported" error. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks

Bob

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 04:00

Hi,

This mostly a software issues with due to driver conflict.

We would suggest to check if the same this happens in BIOS or in Safe mode .

Also,was the system shipped with windows 10 ?Did this issue occur after the update .

Please update the BIOS . We we also suggest you to do a PC refresh and let us know if the issue still occurs.

Thanks

Robin

May 5th, 2016 09:00

Hi Robin,

Just to update - the drastic option resolved my issues. I did a PC refresh since my BIOS was already up to date, and the problem did not occur in safe mode.

(For background, the PC shipped with Windows 7, and the problem only occurred since the update to Windows 10.)

One (fairly minor) annoyance - the refresh process claimed it would write a file to my desktop containing a list of all the applications it was going to uninstall. No such file was created. I can live with this, but it was a little frustrating.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards,

Bob

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply and glad that the system is working if there are any other issues feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks

Robin

No Events found!