Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2017 08:00

Windows 10 Pro 1709 x64 broke boot file

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could help. This may or may not be a coincidence but after I upgraded from Windows 10 Pro 1703 to 1709 and powered the PC off and back on, the PC's BIOS says it can't find the disk and instructs you to either press F1 to skip or F2 to enter the PC's BIOS setup, I kept on pressing F1 and kept getting stuck in a continuous loop after the BIOS's splash screen. The PC's disk setup is 4TB Hybrid Hard Disk which is formatted as GPT and is split into 6 partitions, 5 that are bootable and 1 as a storage area. The 5 bootable partitions are 120GB each containing Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64, Windows 8 Pro x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and Windows 10 1709 x64 and all in logical boot order whereas the storage area is using the remaining 3496GB and is non bootable. The BIOS boots the drive using UEFI without secure boot and CSM but in the current situation I am using the drive that came with the PC with making this the master drive and the hybrid drive as the Slave drive. The configuration for this drive is a 250GB MBR with Windows 10 1709 x64 and the PC is currently booting it in legacy. I can access the contents of the hybrid drive via the 250GB drive which is an ordinary SATA drive using Windows Explorer. I have performed numerous checks using Seagate Tools for Windows and Check Disk and none of them have picked up any faults? Your help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

January 19th, 2018 13:00

Update

I managed to eventually fix the issue by recovering the Windows 10 registry hive files using Command Prompt (Shift + F10) from the installation media.

16 Posts

November 8th, 2017 05:00

One of these methods might resolve your issue. Please follow below methods::

Method 1::

If you hold the power button down for 10 seconds it will shut the laptop down. Then power it on again and if it gets stuck, do the power button again. After 3 attempts to boot you should get a troubleshoot screen. Under Advanced Options is an Automatic Repair button. Try that and see if it fixes it.

Method 2::

If you haven't installed any softwares and you get this problem right after installing the windows just re-install it or you can shut your laptop down about 3 times after that troubleshooting will be started at the boot time.

Method 3::

Since this is a boot loop, see if the following works.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.

2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.

3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.

4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.

5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.

6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.

8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

You need to get to the Advanced Options in order to get the Refresh Option. This will keep your data but any programs installed will be lost. Do not do a Reset as that will wipe everything. 

November 12th, 2017 04:00

Hi harper_alex,

The unit is actually a Vostro 470 and not a laptop, sorry for not putting this information in my initial post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

1 Message

February 14th, 2018 01:00

Well not exactly the same. Windows went out and got the 1709 "feature" update. Rebooted and doesn't even make it to the BIOS. I have a dead machine. The power on button is orange instead of white when you push it to turn on. No spinning of disk ( which is new and working properly). Nothing else has changed on this machine.

I reseated cables, memory, all connections. Removed ethernet, usb, etc. in order to get it to reboot. Nothing. When I turn it on I can't even get to the BIOS, but the machine is running. Monitors and keyboard show no life.

Now that Microsoft broke my machine (only 1.5 years old, i7-7700 16GB  XPS) what are my options? 

Microsoft offers no help. Tried their community and site. They don't want to admit that their updates have any negative effect. How about Dell? Any support? 

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

February 14th, 2018 17:00

The solid amber power LED means this is not (or not solely) a software/OS issue - you have a bad power supply, or a bad power supply and mainboard.

If the system is out of warranty, the power supply is the first part to replace.  If that doesn't get the system running, the next suspect is the mainboard.  

The incident was coincidental to the software update -- it's a hardware failure.

1 Message

February 15th, 2018 17:00

Well I just took a Dell AIO Windows 10 1709 hard drive out of it and placed it in a HP8300 SFF. This corrupted the BIOS of the HP box which makes the PC dead. I then tried it on my gigabyte H77M-D3H without realising the previuos problem and corrupted the BIOS this board as well. Now gigabyte have dual bios so i was able to recover it with some power on off crashs. So gigabyte working again. But the HP 8300 SFF is dead. No way to recover the bios. Now add to this the other HP8300 SFF which was on Windows 10 1703. It would not update to 1709 and gave not enough disk space error. This we worked out as BIOS level too low. Upgraded to latest bios and upgrade to 1709 worked fine. 

So beware. Windows 10 1709 disks being placed on older hardware can corrupt the BIOS. Or maybe WIndows 10 1709 on older hardware/bios levels may corrupt it anyway.

No Events found!