Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2016 14:00

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgrade.

I just bought a new Dell XPS 8900 that came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed. Part of the deal was a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I received a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS CD with this computer that says "Already installed on your computer. Use this disc only to re-install the operating system on a Dell computer. This disc is not for re-installation of programs or drivers." My question is, do I use this disc to install the upgrade or do I do it online from MS? Is there a difference?

• 

16.7K Posts

May 31st, 2016 05:00

RICKI64,

You can use the disk since you have it already. It may be easier than downloading Windows 10. Make sure you go to the link below to select your system, OS and download the Windows 10 drivers.

Support.dell.com

May 31st, 2016 10:00

I totally agreed with Jesse L You can use the disk since you have it already.

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2016 12:00

Is there someplace I can go to find out how to use the DVD to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7? The instructions I see start with changing the BIOS to UEFI (which BTW don't match what I see on my screen) and then eventually deleting files.  Is it that complicated?

1 Message

October 27th, 2016 18:00

I have the same issue, I found a few help files on Dell's web site and they weren't of much help in the end.  I changed the bios settings to UEFI, had the Win10Pro DVD in the optical drive, followed the steps I found I found on Dell's web site and then it gave me an error that the HDD wasn't formatted.  It gave no options to format the drive, didn't know what to do next.  Now I'm stuck, the system is a whopping 2 days old.

6 Posts

October 27th, 2016 20:00

I ended up going to chat support, gave control of my computer to the helpful agent and we jointly updated.  Amazingly complex, took over an hour and ultimately required him to generate and provide a license for Windows 10 once I sent him my purchase confirmation. DELL needs to get its act together beyond merely sending a reinstall windows 10 DVD with zero instructions,

1 Message

January 31st, 2017 00:00

Just download a Windows 10 disc image and boot from this. Choose for "Custom: Install Windows Only" and remove the current partitions. From there it's easy. The activation works only if the computer is already licensed for Windows 10.  

February 6th, 2019 13:00

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 16:00

same issue on an inspiron loaded with windows 7 pro.  changed the bios, loaded the win10 disk, fubared the display, no luck on install.  went back to bios and returned to legacy.  Now the disk is in the DVD drive, but I don't know what do do with it - nothing labeled install or the like

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2019 11:00

If you have windows 7 COA you can use an oem windows 10 disk.

If you do not have a windows 7 COA and do not have an SLP windows 8.x key in bios you will not be able to use the windows 10 disk.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

Oem system builder disks install with the I do not have a key option.

You then use WIN8 key in bios or the Number on the WIN7 COA sticker.

A disk that says "DELL DRIVERS and UTILITIES for ALREADY INSTALLED on Your Dell Pc (Software Disc)"

IS NOT A WINDOWS 7 /8 /10  DISK its a DRIVER/RESOURCE DISK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223207040340

No Events found!