Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 Upgrade for Inspiron N7010

Ran the compatibility test for my laptop and it says Dell has not done anything to make it compatible. When will this happen? Hopefully before the free download period ends.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 21st, 2015 09:00

DebGus,

Unfortunately, Dell will not be making the Inspiron N7010 Windows 10 compatible. At the link below are the Dell Computers that Dell has made Windows 10 compatible.

Dell Computers Compatible with Windows 10

5.2K Posts

September 21st, 2015 13:00

The majority of computers sold in the last 10 years or so will run Win 10. If you have properly registered with Microsoft, you can wait for their official response. You can also download the Win 10 installer by downloading their Media Creation Tool (search for the site). Don't run around trying to install the latest BIOS and Driver Updates - a waste of time. Windows 10 will install drivers for any that are not compatible. After installation, you can look for any driver updates you may need to regain full driver functionality, such as for video and printers. I did NO driver updates on any of mine, and three are much older than yours. If there are any issues after the update, post back for help.

16 Posts

March 26th, 2016 04:00

You said that Dell is not making Inspiron N7010 Windows 10 Compatible, then why Dell did not inform / or block the up-gradation  to Windows 10 from Windows 7 O/S? What is our way out under current situation? Dell must do something to maintain their Market Good-will.

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2016 08:00

Dell does not do anything to make any of their computers compatible with Win 10. They only test them to see if they will run and if there are Win 10 drivers available. Note that Win 10 does install compatible drivers when necessary using "generic" versions. They may not have one for all possible hardware, and the GWX installation will inform you that none are available and will have you defeat the current driver so that you can install a compatible version after the upgrade. I had this happen for my oldest (10 year old D9100) computer for the wireless card. After installation, a compatible driver installed automatically.

In addition, if a unit is more that about 3 years old, Dell will not even test them for compatibility, as they are considered obsolete. My sig shows the 6 units, four being Dell, that have upgraded OK. Three are eight or more years old.

I did a quick look on the web for the N7010, and only found a few upgrades, most having issues with the wireless card.

No Events found!