8 Krypton

RE: Windows 10 bricked my 14Z any advice?

I'm underwhelmed by Dells' support function--seem to be very few problems that have actually been solved. We now have 2 Dell desktops--one of which are hummin' in WIN10 and one brick.  They may be our last, from which I thought was a great outfit.  I shudda waited awhile to install WIN10 until the bugs were out as many folks suggested.

yeah, it's been a month since anyone from Dell chimed in here with any 'advice', krummy or otherwise; looks like you've all been abandoned, left here to figure it out for yourselves &/or pay Dell for a new mthrbrd as the advice d'jour. Some service ya'll got on an approved upgrade, huh? The more people that showed up with problems the faster the thread was abandoned by 'tech-support' ... that's me story & I'm a stickin' to it... sux what ya'll went through by yourselves.

Highlighted
TheAvenger
6 Indium

IBJunior:

If you get your computer to fire up you can use recovery to go back to Win 7, Win 8 or Win 8.1. You don't need disks. Go to start, settings, update and security, recovery, reset this pc.  I think they allow only 30 days to recover to a previous OS

0 Kudos
ibjunior
1 Nickel

Thanks--I did that and it said the previous Win 7 had not been saved, so it couldn't be restored.  I don't recall being offered that choice when upgrading.  I obviously should have done a more thorough job of backing things up before switching.

0 Kudos
TheAvenger
6 Indium

I saw another option to save your files and restore to factory settings? That should bring back your Win 7 I believe. Also under the recovery option mentioned earlier.

0 Kudos
Spencer7
1 Nickel

I have the same problem.  I've reset CMOS four times now.  Each time things get better, but eventually something goes wrong.  I've updated CMOS and all the drivers.  For the moment the computer is working but I expect another crash eventually.

0 Kudos
kruise02
1 Copper

Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same problem with my DELL Inspiron. Should I call Microsoft or Dell for this mess?

0 Kudos
TheAvenger
6 Indium

Don't waste your time. The "experts"  will tell you to install a new motherboard, which it almost certainly does not need. Follow the directions in this thread, remove the CMOS battery overnight, replace it, start it up (make take about 5 min.) then IMMEDIATELY go to the Dell website and install the latest BIOS update for your computer. (mine took the A10)

0 Kudos
TheAvenger
6 Indium

You need to update the BIOS.

0 Kudos
TheAvenger
6 Indium

SPENCER7 You need to update the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Spencer7
1 Nickel

The BIOS was updated as were all of the drivers.  The "fix" of resetting CMOS worked every time (eight or nine) but proved only temporary.  Dell repaired the computer replacing just about everything including the lower and upper case.  It's working great now but I'm not going past Win 8.1.  Lesson learned.

0 Kudos