Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2015 21:00

Windows 10 frequently freezes then computer restarts itself

Hello.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my new (out of the box) Dell XPS 8700. The installation process itself went smoothly. However, now my computer will now randomly freeze and then restart itself. I've updated all drives, run diagnostics, and anything else I can thing of. I have not receive any error codes. It takes hours for anything to download (including drivers) and will usually freeze then restart several times while I'm doing this.. 

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a solution? 

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 03:00

I am experiencing similar problems with my XPS8700, found out my PC resets itself when it's been left alone (IDLE). My PC is set to never go to sleep.

I found out after a night of leaving on the PC, the PC was resetted multiple times during the night.

Eventviewer shows: Critical, Event ID 41, The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I have sent in the PC for repair, dell has just reinstalled windows 8 without replacing anything. I have just got my PC back from Dell so I have to upgrade to windows 10 again before I can do some tests again.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 06:00

Upon installation of Windows 10 on my Dell 8700 XPS I experienced the same symptoms you have described. The PC would reboot every half hour or so during the night. Looking in the device manager, under system devices, following this event, I could see that the “Intel Management Engine Interface” was not running.

I resolved my issues using the following steps:
1) Stop the PC from auto rebooting by selecting System (right clock on start menu) -> Advanced system settings -> Startup and Recovery. Uncheck “Automatically restart” under “System Failure”.
2) Install the latest Intel Management Engine Interface driver. The driver from Dell’s site for my specific PC seems to be an older driver. I downloaded driver version 11.0.0.1157 (installer version 11.0.0.1158) directly from Intel’s website. Once downloaded, I extracted the files, and selected “update driver” from the device manger (select the management interface engine as described above). Set it to browse your PC, and select the folder where you extracted the drivers.
3) Restart your PC. Now, go back to device manager and select “update driver” for wireless card, ethernet card, and video card. Let Windows search automatically for the drivers.

EDIT: Ensure you have the latest BIOS installed (A11 in my case). This should really be done prior to upgrading to Windows 10.

This process worked for me and I have had no errors/warnings in the event viewer for several days now.

7 Posts

September 24th, 2015 04:00

Did you do a clean install or upgrade? I believe after an upgrade this problem does not occur. Since I got my system back from dell with windows 8, upgraded to windows 10 and had no problems.

Then I did a fresh/clean install with windows 10 pro (my own license) and then problems start again. I installed only the Intel Chipset driver (10.1.1.7,A00) from dell not the Intel ME windows update installs this one and the latest AMD driver from their website.

The only intel ME driver with the version number u mention I could find are for Intel NUC? Can you point to these drivers maybe? Intel has very little windows 10 support/drivers yet on their website.

I will check your solution when I get back home, thanks for the help

PS. I already have BIOS A11 installed

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 24th, 2015 07:00

The symptoms were present following the initial upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The symptoms were also present after clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

My system configuration:

• XPS 8700
  • I7-4790
  • 256GB SSD (OS installed here), 2TB hard drive
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
  • Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
  • 32GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5

For the clean install of Windows 10 Pro, I used a bootable USB, ensuring is was set for uefi. I used a free application, Rufus, to create the bootable USB after downloading the ISO from Microsoft.
I did not install any Dell applications or drivers.

I extracted the contents of Intel installer 11.0.0.1158, and then had Windows determine the best driver and this one was selected. After that, I selected video card, network cards, and sound cards from the device manager and had Windows search for driver updates automatically. Reboot between each install.

After that process, no more problems. My event viewer is clear of critical/errors/warnings and there are no more reboots. In other words, the PC is now completely stable.

Although, Dell’s website says my PC is ready for Windows 10, it does not seem to be given the driver issues.

You may also want to try Intel’s driver update utility at downloadcenter.intel.com. It analyses your PC and lets you download updated drivers. Anyway, I hope this helps.

2 Posts

September 24th, 2015 12:00

All my drivers are up-to-date. I've scanned everything, and it's still shutting down. I guess I just need to revert back to 8.1

7 Posts

September 25th, 2015 14:00

I did some further testing, without drivers installed the problem does not occur. So I installed the latest AMD drivers again from their website and the problems start again.

I also checked the memory.dmp which lead to dxgkrnl.sys.

I dont have time for further testing now, but I would try to avaid the AMD Catalyst 15.7.1/driver 15.20.1062.1004​ for now.

I will do some further testing in the future.

No Events found!