Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2017 22:00

Windows 10 reinstall (HDD swap)

I am currently having difficulties reinstalling Windows 10 on my Dell 5558 laptop, after a HDD swap. As I see it, I have two options:

I can reinstall windows with their media creation tool, but not all of the laptop drivers will be installed (e.g. the touchpad scroll does not work, and the touchpad is detected as a mouse).

I can attempt to reinstall with Dell's media creation tool, which I assume is a package that includes the drivers, but I always get stuck in a loop at either the black windows screen with text at the bottom, or the blue windows screen saying "Just a moment...". These screens are not frozen, though I have waited for hours for something to change.

It should be noted that I am using an external hard drive as the media creation device, which only powers on when the computer detects it.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thank you for your time,

TheMobius40  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

I find it best to create Windows 10 installation media on a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. I also suggest you download the window 10 installation media from the link below.

Download Windows 10 - microsoft.com

If you need to install Dell drivers, downloads and firmware, I suggest you follow the steps in the link below to install drivers in correct order.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

October 24th, 2017 00:00

Fortunately, after working on this for several days, the Dell media creation tool method pulled through less then an hour after I created this thread.

Thank you though, LSUFAN51, for your prompt reply.

TheMobius40

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 24th, 2017 08:00

Glad to know the Dell media creation tool finished up. Thanks for the update....

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 12:00

Hi, can you tell me if this will work when I swap my HDD for an SSD on my inspiron 3542(i5 4210u) ?

I created another post for the same:

(en.community.dell.com/.../20023561)

my laptop came pre-installed with windows 8/8.1 and now I'm not sure how to go about upgrading to an SSD while still keeping Windows 10.

thank in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 1st, 2017 10:00

Thank you for your message.

This system is basically tested for SATA drives & not for SSD. Many of our customers have tried SSD upgrade but most of them complained about the drive is not detected. This mainly happens due to incompatibility between the Current Windows 10 recovery environment (WinRE) storage drivers.

If you plan to check this, you can do so, any SSD of 7mm height should fit in.

If you have upgraded to Windows 10 through the Microsoft free upgrade program & if there have been no motherboard changes, you will still be able to get Windows 10 update without any charges. You can create a recovery image through the Windows MCT, the activation is registered on the server, once you reinstall Windows 10 & connect to the internet, the OS will be activated automatically.

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!